draw weight

Codybones

Aug 14, 2013
What does everybody have for draw weight on there bows for elk hunting? Im shooting 55lbs now but I think I could do 60 pretty easily.

My dad shoot 50lb bow with 25" draw length. He killed seven bulls in last 17yrs. Know your range and a good placement will bring down even the biggest bull. I am shooting 70lb with an Bowtech Insanity.

I shoot 70lbs with the good ol Mathews switchback. It's not as fast as some of the newer bows but it's close with my 30+ inch draw length. Shoots great so I haven't got around to upgrading just yet!

Back to your original question though, I think Kinetic energy is the more important measure of if you could take an animal cleanly compared to draw weight BUT shot placement trumps everything!! So shoot straight  :)

I am pulling #75, but like has been said before, shot placement and kinetic energy at impact (arrow/broad head weight) makes all the difference.  I like the higher weight for the better chance at a pass through.  Two holes are better than one!

I shoot 70.  I'd suggest as heavy as you can comfortably shoot.  If thats 55, that'll work but if you could do more, the more KE that arrow has the more margin for error you have if you miss your mark.  JMO

+1 to what Big Tex said. 
I shoot a Mathews Monster 70lbs 30.5" DL.  Plus the faster the arrow the more margin for error you have while judging distances and you'll have more energy down range on longer shots.

You should be fine if that is the weight you are comfortable at shooting. Just make sure you can put that arrow where it needs to be and shooting a cut on contact head to help with penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to try 60# today sounds like it won't hurt, I know I can pull it so might as well get tuned in.

Like a lot of the guys have said, shoot as heavy as you can. Whether that is 70# or 55# or whatever it may be. Pulling more weight will help with speed & kinetic which in turn means more penetration. And will also allow you to take a little further shot if it is presented.

Personally I shoot 74# with a 455gr arrow, and getting 89 lb/s of kinetic energy.

Lot of good info. I only do 60 lb's with a 28" draw length. I can do 70 when standing but not well. Especially if I am sitting or kneeling its do difficult to pull back so I stay with 60. My oldest boy learned that hard way ;)

I agree with everybody, shoot what is comfortable.  Whatever weight you pull, make shure you pull it when the moment of truth comes.  Take into account cold weather, and awkward shooting positions that you face while hunting.  I like to be able to draw my bow slow and smooth.  The cow I shot last year was looking right at me when I drew back.  This year I am shooting the Hoyt Faktor at 80lbs.

+1 to all the above, and one other factor is this year I would stay put due to the season starting soon.  The closer to september you get I would be real nervous about changing anything.

Agree to all the above.. I would also say add weight to your arrow with high foc and a 2 blade single bevel broadhead with as close to perfect arrow flight you can.I shoot 65lb Hoyt faktor 30 728gr grizzlystik momentum U-foc with confidence out to 50yrd so far. Good luck

Perfect practice makes perfect...but if you're hauling back too much poundage, you get tired more quickly, your shooting form collapses and you get p***ed off

If you can hold at full draw for at least sixty seconds, your draw weight is ok.

My Hoyt UltraTec is set at 58#, shooting my 29" 437 gr arrows at a shade over 250 fps...and I concentrate on shot placement from 60 yards in to 10 yards, sitting, kneeling, standing, etc

Thanks very much everybody, I think I'm going to stay at 55# I can shoot 16 arrows at 20 30 40 and get pretty tired by the last set at 50yds so by Sept I should be there

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back