Drawing Odds (help)

BrentLaBere

Jan 7, 2013
I have already applied for my non resident general (LE archery) tag for Montana. What I am wondering is do you have better draw odds if you get the deer & elk combination versus just the elk? From my understanding they were they same draw. the 10% or so of tags left over are for the nonresidents that applied for the special permit. I was told by a friend that might be putting in your draw odds increase with the combo. Could someone more familiar with the montana system explain this?

I don't think it will matter, they had about 3000 NR tags left over last year, and about 2000 in 2011,
I may not even apply this year, and just wait and buy a left over tag, why let them have my money for a extra 6 months. IMHO

Kevin

Yeah I had heard they have plenty for the general areas but what about the special permit areas you apply for after receiving the general?
I may not have worded my question clear enough but thank you for the response.

Before they had the huge increase in tag fees it was a lot easier to draw the combo tag then just the elk tag.  You could draw it every couple years.  Since the tag fee increase there have been several combo tags left over after the draw.  I don't know if the same goes for just the elk draw.  If you put in for the elk draw and don't get it you could still probably buy the combo tag.

It should make no difference if you get the general elk or combo, but dont wait for leftovers if you plan on getting a le draw. 

MTbowhunter1984 said:
It should make no difference if you get the general elk or combo, but dont wait for leftovers if you plan on getting a le draw.

Those were my thoughts on it. Thank you guys for the responses.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back