Early season gloves

troyc

Jan 2, 2013
So I end up not ever wearing gloves during early archery season becasue I have never found any that I feel conformtable in when shooting.  So I end up with cold hands for the early morning and evenings.

What are people using and what do they like about their perspective gloves.

Military aviator gloves all the way....Great early and late season...I like the olive drab they seem to be the best...black will bleed when wet and you end up with black hands don't ask how I know... :)

I have a simple leather palm pair from cabelas they work and don't get sweaty, but notice I shoot better without them, so would love something thin but that doesn't have grippy palms as they don't let the bow slide into position in my hand as easily.....

I use the ASAT Elite gloves when its colder, but quite frankly I think there has to be a better set out there. I shoot fine with them, and they keep my hands relatively warm, but they are a super generic fit.

I have found a couple of brands at Cabelas that I like as early season gloves.  One is their brand and the other is UnderArmour.  They have stickies on the glove portion for grip and I can fit the index finger in my Whalen's Hooker.  They are not the warmest and I like the Manzella gloves for the balance of warmth versus not too much bulk when it gets colder.  I pack both as I want the warmer glove early on and the lighter one for the afternoon/evening.  I shoot with a glove year round for consistency.

Attachments

• Early Gloves
    39 KB · Views: 102
I like using the thinner fleece half finger gloves during early season and if it gets cold I just put a thin glove on under the half finger one which usually handles more situations.

I used the Sitka Traverse gloves last year and found they breathed very well, even with the fleece lining.  I had the shooter gloves before that and even though they have the mesh back (on the top of the hand) I found the leather palm caused my hands to sweat quite a bit.  This year, I'll be ordering a set of the Sitka Core gloves, which should be even cooler than the Traverse set. 

Mossy Oak pass through gloves made for archers. I am on my second pair and need to find them again so I can buy another pair.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
i usually don't wear gloves unless it is really cold because it changes the fit of my release strap.  I have to put my release on first and just let the glove get bunch up so my wrist is exposed but I just have a cheap pair of mossy oak gloves somebody gave me, maybe with a nice fitted strap glove it would be better

Mountain Bowhunter said:
i usually don't wear gloves unless it is really cold because it changes the fit of my release strap.  I have to put my release on first and just let the glove get bunch up so my wrist is exposed but I just have a cheap pair of mossy oak gloves somebody gave me, maybe with a nice fitted strap glove it would be better

With the mossy oak pass through you put on the release first. The glove strap velcro's over the release strap. No bunching of the gloves.

Kmbingham92 said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:

With the mossy oak pass through you put on the release first. The glove strap velcro's over the release strap. No bunching of the gloves.

Thanks for posting Kmbingham92. I'll have to check them out. Most likely part of the trigger finger will be coming off the glove as soon as I get them. I like to feel the trigger under my finger.

Kmbingham92 said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:

i like the sound of that

I need to find a pair of gloves as well, those under Armour ones looks nice. I am currently using a pair of scent lock ones ive had for many years but rarely use because I feel they are uncomfortable. Need to practice more with them all summer to be ready for the fall.

Anyone have any gloves that don't have the sticky palms? I don't like the grip on my bow hand and haven't found any that are nice snug fit.

I love the shooter glove through Sitka.  If it's cold out I will put on the traverse glove under the shooter glove and stay plenty warm.  I used them on my mule deer hunt this year with my bow, and after I shot realized I still had my gloves on.  Very good combo for me, but would not recommend in very cold temps.

I used Sitka shooter gloves early and late season last year. I really like them and have no problems shooting a bow or rifle with them on.

Maybe I better try some Sitka shooter gloves. Do they fit snug on your fingers? Cabelas is not selling my Mossy Oak pass through gloves anymore.

I shoot with the Stika Merino gloves and love them.  They keep my hands warm and yet they dont sweat.  I practice a lot with them just so i feel comfortable shooting with them on.

The best gloves I have found are the under armour glove liners. I have them in camo and black. They are thin enough that I can feel the trigger on my release, it's like I'm not wearing gloves, and I don't get hot in them. But when the temps drop they keep your hands warms!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back