Either sex tag question

Smtn10pt

Jan 9, 2013
Say you are on an out of state hunt, at what point do you take a cow or calf?  I've passed up shots at them in archery season and ended up going back out west in rifle only to take a cow on the last day. How do you guys decide when its time to fill tags vs. wait for bone?

Based on how much time I have. The closer to the end of the season the more likely. I dont care about racks too much and would rather have the meat.

Two years ago I had two weeks off the end of September.  On Labor day  I had a cow walk under an apple tree in my deer spot.  I had to think about as long as took her to turn broadside and the arrow was on it's way. 

Just think meat in the freezer.We finally have a place close by this year to kill either sex so i will persue a cow last week of season.

Any elk with a bow is a trophy. I wouldn't pass a cow unless I drew a limited entry tag. Then it's another story.

If I was to put cash into out of state hunt it won't be because I am meat hunting, I have plenty of access to that here. So I would likely wait till the very last part of the last day unless I was seeing nothing at all then maybe a day earlier. But if I am in them, then I think I'd wait it out.

I am with Alder on this one. I have plenty of opportunity here in Utah to fill my archery tag with a cow to do it out of state. Having said that, because of this line of thinking I do not have elk in the freezer this year.

I'm with Alder on this one as well. If you're paying that kind of cash on an animal, trophy all the way until the last day then just feel your tag with a cow. I think at that point it would be fine, at least your not going home empty handed. Plus like my dad has always told me,"You can't eat the horns"
And like EatElk, I think any elk with a bow is awesome.

I would prefer a bull, but if an opportunity on a cow presents itself I will capitalize on it.
This past year I was forced to make that choice early on, I shot a cow on the first morning of hunting, no regrets. I have felt for me that there is a "barrier"  of the First kill that must be broke through and afterward thing come easier.
I experienced with my first deer, my first archery deer, and hopefully with elk.

I am a meat hunter. I have been blessed with some respectable bucks in PA, But my family enjoys eating venison.

I think you have to make that choice before hand and be content with the results.

Three years ago in Idaho, I was ten minutes away from camp on day 14 the last day we had pretty much given up, when we heard some elk mewing so we started mimicking the sounds and a calf came charging in and I took the shot, a short blood trail later I had my Elk! The meat was super good and a very easy pack out!

I agree that it is to make a decision before you head out each day and be good with your decision in the moment. I kicked myself one time for passing on a deer while elk hunting, because my brother in law said if I shot it, that would mean one less day of hunting elk. When I went out that day I hadn't really thought about the situation and in the excitement I the moment I almost released. I wouldn't have been unhappy with the deer, but it would have been a four mile hike to the truck in serious elk terrain. Plus I would have missed out on some great elk hunting. If I had thought about it before I went out and talked with my hunting partners about it, I wouldn't have spent the day wondering and agonizing about it.

It took me a few years to convince my dad that taking a cow is just a good as taking a bull, especially with a bow!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back