Elevation TrainingMask 2.0 study

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
So, my aviation Physiology professor works out at my gym. He knows about my upcoming elk hunting trip. He sees me doing the gauntlet aka big stair stepper, everyday. Just waiting for my pack to arrive them I'll begin training with weighted pack. I realize I can do all the cardio training in the world here in Texas. Throw me in at 8000-10000' elevation and the struggle will be there. I'll recover quicker from training. However, I'm still at 700 above sea level. My professor and I talk regularly about the trip and what to expect. He mentioned that I try the Elevation Training Mask. Theory behind it is that it restricts your oxygen intake while training. Therefore your body should create more red blood cells to help deliver more oxygen to your working muscles. I wasn't too sure about it. He then offered to buy the mask along with a heart rate monitor to do a double blind study. He would analyze the data collected by a trainer monitoring my heart rate, blood pressure, etc. This guy is a tenured professor, published many times as well as former NASA scientist. He wants to study how the mask has, if any, effect on helping to acclimate quickly to high elevation coming from before 1000' sea level. Also said he can apply for a grant to pay me for the study. I signed up.

I will keep you all posted on how the training is going and of course, the results. I will have to wear a heart rate monitor while I'm in Colorado to record the rates while at elevation. I'll look goofy as hell wearing a mask that makes me look like Bane from Batman. No, I don't have to wear the mask while I am hunting. Only for the training part. If it helps me acclimate quicker so I'm not huffing and puffing while climbing and chasing elk, I don't lose because I'm already training hard. And if it shows promise, this is something you may want to incorporate into your preseason training regimen.

How does it cut down on the O2 without restricting the volume of air intake? Sounds like updated version on the gas masks we were issued.

Great question. Theoretically, the mask is supposed to restrict O2 intake thus causing your body to respond, due to the lack of O2 as if you are at elevation, by increasing the producing of red blood cells. Which, are responsible for the delivery of O2 to the body. Do I have my doubts? Of course. My degree is in Exercise Physiology. With that being said, there are no actual, that we could find, not having looked extremely hard, published studies on the effects of the mask. My prof LOVES research. He's amped about this. I'm doing it because he offered to buy the mask which I wasn't going to do after finding no true info on its legitimacy. What's it going to hurt? Like I said, if it works, great! I'm busting my butt in the gym regardless of whether or not I'm wearing the mask. Plus, he can get research grants. Meaning, I can get paid to do this. It's a win in my book. If it helps, I'll recover quicker when at elevation. If it doesn't, I'm still going to be in great cardio shape allowing me to recover and acclimate much quicker than if I had only been doing cardio just because I had to. I'll keep updates on how it is going.

It is 80$ on amazon prime. There are other masks they sell for cheaper. However, this one is their elevation training mask.

I now know why I really wasn't overly excited when my prof mentioned this mask. I don't like it. Not comfortable at all. I'm pushing myself as it is. This mask sucks balls. I'll stick with training with my pack being weighted. Being a pilot, I can, you can to its not exclusive to pilots, I'm just going to get portable O2. I won't be climbing Mt Everest but I'll do what they do and take a few hits of canned O2. That'll help with the fatigue.

I have been using one for a couple of months now and I feel like I can breathe in deeper and longer and just feel like my lungs can expand more. I don't know if this will help in the mountains, but I hope.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back