Elk Advice

G.W.H.

May 9, 2013
I drew my first bow elk hunt in unit 34, NM.  I have never hunted elk with a bow or during the rut at all, so I am looking for any general advice, such as scouting tips or calling tips or anything related.  All advice would be greatly appreciated.

You came to the right place.  There is some great advice on here if you search for it, but I would start with the University of Elk Hunting series that was just finished up by elk101.

Agree with MTB.  There's lots to learn so wade in, but you're already a step ahead by drawing a unit that has some nice bulls.

warning!! be prepared this hunt my change your life.Bull elk screaming in your face is very addicting and you cant help but come back for more.  ;)

Congrats! We put in for Unit 34 and 36 this year, but no luck. Unit 34 is loaded with quality elk. Saw too many to count this year turkey hunting.

Thanks! I've been putting in for 34 for 7 years (since I was 9) and I finally drew out. I've already been doing lots of scouting. How'd you do with turkey? I got close several times but not close enough.

Finding elk now is nice but it may not mean they will be there when your hunt comes around. I like to look for signs of the September rut. Things like ripped up trees and wallows. The area you are going to hunt should play a large part in your scouting. If you expect it to be hot you might want to be on the lookout for water sources. Where I hunt we can routinely find cows and calves during the summer but they are rarely in the same place when the hunt actually arrives.

Good luck this Fall.

34 is a tough unit to draw, no doubt. Last year was my first season here and I drew 36, thought there was nothing to this draw haha. Turkey season was alright, wind ruined opening week up there and I wasn't able to get out there until May. I ended the season with two young jakes, didn't have the luxury of being picky this year. They were quiet too this year, not much gobbling. You experience the same?

Ribo451, I know its kind of early but I can't wait :) . I am mainly just trying to learn the area right now.  Cbrick, the turkey were quiet where I was hunting too. Opening morning of the youth hunt I got on one but it was already henned up and couldn't get him to come in

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back