Elk Anatomy and where to aim

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
One of the biggest learnings that I had with Archery hunting compared with rifle hunting, was where to aim for on an elk.  I used to aim with a rifle for just behind the front leg and now I aim up above the elbow of the front leg.  I have attached some photos to help explain why.

Attachments

• PhotoShotSite.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 411
  • elk-anatomy2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 397
I err back, but that may be due to my years of shooting rifle at big game.  Hitting back and low can still get liver which is fatal, but back/high could be a lost animal.  Too high above the "elbow" is the shoulder blade and I have lost one that I hit there without enough penetration.

Also important to note for people new to archery that there is a sizeable region below as we'll as above the vitals where an arrow can pass clear thru and never hit an organ.  You don't notice it so much with deer, but the elk body is so much bigger its definitely a concern.  Unfortunately I speak from experience :'(

I like those pics, it important to know where that shoulder bone it depending how their leg is at the time of the shot.

These are good diagrams, because this year I thought I made a great shot and hit a little high. Luckily I hit both lungs, but after that I learned I need to aim alot lower from now on.

Great topic, I did not realize the "V" above the front leg. Always shot deer behind the front leg, but that shows a hit straight up the leg on elk is a good one.
What changes when an elk is stepping with the leg towards you, is back? The one pictured is stopped with both legs aligned. Any picture available ?

Thanks for posting this.
First time I saw pictures like this I was shocked. I had no idea you had that much room above the leg. I'm always watching on hunting shows in the off season to see if I can notice the bone structure of the animal as it moves. I too would like to see how the blade would shift when walking.

Great post to bring to the top.  Have you guys found any other photos to add to this collection?  Would love to see cut always where the leg is back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That cutaway is good, but looks to be superimposed a tad forward the more I look at it and the cow pic.  I've seen guys hit the shoulder and it never ends well.  I know its quick and very lethal if you get passed it, but I like a little room for error: distance, branches, jumping the string movement, etc...lots can happen in fractions of a second at that moment.

Mind if I hijack this post? What are everyone's thoughts on this Shot? Personally I've only taken this shot at close range with successful results. Unfortunately, solo hunters may only get this chance...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 129
an exception to this is if the elk is standing on a hill side facing up hill, that heavy leg bone will be exactly in the spot you  are aiming for . this got me 2 years ago. dropped the elk like a rock but not fatal , that one lived till riffle season.

Here is a good link to check out.  http://www.huntercourse.com/hetools/

I teach hunter education for Colorado Parks & Wildlife and this is what we use to review shot placement. Lots of random stuff included, but you get 3D cutaways and can interactively view vitals and bones at different angles.  It's free to download.

Shot effectiveness obviously depends on bow/rifle, range, ability, and conditions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back