Elk Anatomy and where to aim

EricB said:
Here is another pic of a short haired cow.

That is a great image that shows the bone structure under the hide. However, the red dot is placed a little farther forward than where I would prefer to aim. It leaves very little room for error....a touch high or low and you are in leg bone or shoulder blade. I usually pull back a little, and slightly higher....center of the lungs is a dead elk fast, with much more room for error.

There is a Shot Placement Feature here on Elk101.com that discusses anatomy, as well as the controversial FRONTAL shot: http://www.elk101.com/features/shot-placement-feature/

Good thread, the ever present wild card is that near leg position in regards to how the animal is standing, i.e. uphill, side hill, downhill, stride forward/mid/end and then the quartering position. I've looked for some overlay images that have the anatomy (skeletal and organs) in regards and there doesn't seem to be much other than what has been posted. That being said, I'll take that calm, stationary, broad-side shot all day.

I really appreciate your help by posting these photos too.  I am coaching my three teenager on this exact subject and these photos are so helpful. They are rifle hunting but the information translates well.

Nice.  I've seen this before and am always amazed when I see how the bone and shoulder blade go so far forward

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back