Elk call

Tonyskyline

Dec 29, 2017
Hello all. I am new to this forum and honestly new to elk hunting. I am headed to an Outfitter in Montana Sept 1st and he said I should have some sort of cow call to at least get them to stop or if they are further away maybe get em to close the distances.  It is not a spot and stalk type hunt he said as we will be in stands , blinds and basically hunting the summer pattern. Any suggestions on what call to use for a first timer? I do have experience with buck, doe, and turkey calls but never even seen an elk call in person to try.
Thanks for any suggestions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Honestly I'd get you a few mouth calls (diaphragm calls) that are "cow specific".
If all you need it for is stopping elk, then there is nothing easier than having it in your mouth ready to go while you're lining up the shot.

I said look into the "cow specific" calls because the latex are generally stretched a little more loose and more user friendly.

A perfect example would be the https://www.elk101store.com/bugling-bull-mellow-momma-elk-diaphragm-call

That's just my 2 cents. Someone else may say different

Welcome Tonyskyline... DTP  is correct about getting a cow call. You don't have to be a pro to make cow mews. I am sure you will pick it up in no time. Heck if you can yelp with a turkey diaghram you could probably cow call with that  :lol: .
Get a few elk calls and practice. Enjoy  your hunt but be careful.  It is addictive  :-D

Thank you. A diaphragm call it is. Anything else I should bring pertaining to calling

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I usually take 2-3 of the calls that work for me juuuust in case I do something stupid and drop it, set it down, whatever.  If you?ve used a turkey diaphragm call though you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly!

Easiest diaphragms to are thin single reeds with palate plates.  Rocky Mountain mistress and Phelps amp black are super easy to make quality cow talk

i suck at diaphragms in my living room.

bring in a bull elk, and i guarantee , my mouth will go dry and become a desert.  there is no way i will be able to bleep out anything resembling a cow elk in that moment.

last time it happened to me, i had to resort to molesting a Hoochie mama like it was prom night all over again.  my mouth was useless.

jus sayin.

i think that FlexMark call - i can do that in the heat of the moment.

I am also just starting out with elk calls.  I got a mix of rocky mountain and phelps.  Both work well for me

Reel game calls makes a call that makes a pretty good meow sound.  My dad has the talent to turn all elk diaphragm calls into turkey calls so it was the perfect substitute for him.  I like any of the amp Phelps calls personally. Lots of practice on the way too and from work.

Never underestimate the value of finding a good sized stick to beat the stuffing out of a sappling to simulate raking. Those are free [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back