Elk Cherry

c.rash

Jan 28, 2013
I moved to Colorado in Oct. 2009 (military active duty).  I've hunted at least 10 days of every elk season I've lived here and have yet to fill a tag.  The information I've learned has been immense and I'm confident this year is the year.

If you had a rocky start getting into the groove of bow hunting elk, tell me about your first elk bow kill.

I had a rocky start, but it is that way for most.  Usually your first few years you will have ample opportunity(beginners luck) and most of those you will screw them up do to inexperience :mad:  But on the upside that is one of the best ways to learn.  If you don't have an experienced partner to boost your learning, sometimes it's the school of hard knocks or nothing ;D  Best of luck to you and just keep up the hard work and eventually you will all the stars will align.

c.rash said:
I moved to Colorado in Oct. 2009 (military active duty).  I've hunted at least 10 days of every elk season I've lived here and have yet to fill a tag.  The information I've learned has been immense and I'm confident this year is the year.

If you had a rocky start getting into the groove of bow hunting elk, tell me about your first elk bow kill.

I didn't get into archery hunting till I was in my 20s, and it was all due to just putting in for a draw hunt here in NM by chance. My pursuit of elk started when I was a child with my father but I didn't put down a bull till last season. This was 3 year quest that finally ended with my first bull...... if you want to hear the rest here's my link...

http://elk101.com/forums/index.php/topic,802.msg8306.html#msg8306

My first three years I had elk all around me all the time, but I never could seal the deal. I was getting very frustrated, but in year three on one of the last days for me to hunt I was finally able to take a bull. I'm so glad I stuck it out. That got me hooked for the rest of my life.

I grew up in the Caribbean without any opportunity to hunt until I moved away and started hunting in my mid twenties. I didn't have any family or friends that hunted so it was all up to me. Let me tell you, if I did it anyone can do it.

I read every magazine article and books on the subject. Once I got the hang of it I had to start believing that I could do it and on every hunt stay with it till the end. That was many years ago, but I still practice those things. My CO Elk last September and my Havelina hunt just this month was a perfect example of it. On both hunts it was at the bottom of the 9th with 3 balls and 2 strikes. I stayed with it and believed until the very end that I would be successful. And I was.

Good luck brother. Success will be that much sweeter when it comes.

Scouting will greatly increase your odds. If you can put a couple "honey holes" up your sleeve you'll be several steps ahead of everyone else. If you find a hole then look for the water supple. I have had great luck sitting on them in the evenings. Spend lots of time glassing and use good optics. Pattern the elk and set up in the perfect spot for an ambush. Once you pop the cherry things will just make more sense.

If you are X military then you should utilize your land nav skills and topo recon.  Find the "Dank" cool areas with water and wallows.  Once you learn those areas then you should find the bedding areas.  After all that you should kill an elk yearly,  guess it also depends on how picky or how hungry you are.  Good luck Hooah

One year ...check archery odds where you hunt, most archery hunts if you get one every five years your above average.  Keep your head up and learn to enjoy the process.  The guy I hunt with is retired and hunted 24 days without a shot this year, and you could tell it hit him pretty hard, but he loved every minute of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back