"Chicken Fried"
Prep an hour before or an entire day before
4 elk steaks about 1/2" thick-tenderize, if desired

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning salt

one egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Dredge steaks in flour, dip in egg mixture, then redredge in flour.  Scatter remaining flour on plate-put steaks on floured plate.  Refrigerate for an hour or more.  Pan fry in preheated skillet over med-med high heat until caramel colored on each side, or to preferred taste. 

The breading stays put and it's a good recipe for working folks to prep the day before.  While it's frying, throw a couple of spuds in the microwave and call it good!

I'm a fan of elk or deer roasts in a slow cooker with two cans of mushroom soup and a package of onion soup mix, then allowed to cook overnight. It just falls apart and is divine.....fix some mashed potatoes and broccoli to go with it.
Second best is chops cooked at camp on a griddle and eaten as soon as it's heated good(still pink)....sometimes do a marinade in an Italian dressing before cooking.

I have attached two of my favorites for the backstraps.  Absolutely to die for!

Attachments

• Venison steak diane.docx
    97.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Backstrap Rolls.docx
    114.7 KB · Views: 10
rose-n-arrows said:
Here's one of my husband's favorites:
"Chicken Fried"
Prep an hour before or an entire day before
4 elk steaks about 1/2" thick-tenderize, if desired

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning salt

one egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Dredge steaks in flour, dip in egg mixture, then redredge in flour.  Scatter remaining flour on plate-put steaks on floured plate.  Refrigerate for an hour or more.  Pan fry in preheated skillet over med-med high heat until caramel colored on each side, or to preferred taste. 

The breading stays put and it's a good recipe for working folks to prep the day before.  While it's frying, throw a couple of spuds in the microwave and call it good!

Attachments

• 001 (640x480).jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1
RockyMountainHi said:
I have attached two of my favorites for the backstraps.  Absolutely to die for!

Awesome!  Two new recipes.  One for now and one for BBQ season.  I'll need to grab some brandy  ;D

RockyMountainHi said:
Sorry I don't have any pics, but I wouldn't recommend them if I wouldn't eat 'em myself.

LOL  After posting the recipe, I decided to cook some up for dinner-so I went ahead and snapped a photo. 

I like making Italian Roast Elk. The recipe is sample with a slow cooker.

2-3 lb elk roast.
1-2 packs of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing to taste.
Rub roast with half of the seasoning.

Add water to slow cooker covering 1/3 of the roast.
Cook on high for 2 hrs, then reduce to low and cook to desired doneness.
Add 1/2 a jar of Pepperoncini peppers and juice for the last 1-2 hrs of cooking.

Remove roast and slice thinly at desired doneness.

Using hoagie rolls or other desired breading pre-heat oven to 375F.

Place sliced roast, sliced red onions and peppers on rolls, cover with shredded mozzarella and place in oven until cheese is melted.

Dribble the left over drippings over sandwich or use as a dipping sauce.

I also like to use horseradish mixed with sour cream to taste and add to the sandwich.

These sandwiches are delicious and the recipe works well with other game meat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back