Elk from my Treestand or Bust

huntography

Dec 29, 2012
eb27ce0d0e1bdb3c0936dd6697361226.jpg

Mornings were Mid 30\'s. Got into an elk herd in the first 30 minutes. Cows, calves and Bulls were all talking. Wind was all wrong and could not get in close enough. Made a big loop to get around them but no dice.

Hunted from my treestand each day. Saw a 4 point bull high tailing it down hill around 9am towards where I stalked the herd.

Had lots of mule deer does milling around each day. No tag.

Had a 170 and 120 ish sized velvet mule deer come in at 25 yards. No tag

Had 2 different velvet bull moose at 60 and 30 yards. No tag.

Called in a spike bull who came running into the calls and almost slid down the mountain when he came to a screeching halt. He looked around with eyes wide open looking for the cows. That was cool. Had him at 25. Can\'t shoot spikes.

Believe it or not, one afternoon, 2 more spikes came in. One was at 25 and the other got in as close as 10 yards. I watched them eT and drink for almost 20 minutes. So cool to have them get close for so long. Can\'t shoot spikes.

Given all that, my plan to find and hunt treestand spots for elk worked.

I just need to put in the time and be patient.

Oh, and the day before opening day, the elk herd was under my stand. Trail camera video is cool. I missed them by 1 day.

More bear and Mule deer on the cam too. Different elk pass through every couple of days.

I think I\'m going to hunt the whole season from my treestand spots. I\'m addicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome Rudy
I had action at one of my tree stands tonight

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 226
I\'m really happy with the treestand spots and trail cam action @Deertick.

Btw, the reaper and black widow calls worked great.

wow! if my hunts were like that, I\'d want a repeat too!

definitely sounds like you have a pack out in your future. :)

\"Billy Goat\" said:
wow! if my hunts were like that, I\'d want a repeat too!

definitely sounds like you have a pack out in your future. :)

Thanks. That\'s the plan [emoji6]

You know me, I\'m a patient old fart so hang in there and it\'ll happen... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

[emoji1303]

No dice on the last sit. Still-hunted all morning and smelled the elk from a small dark timber point. They were in there, just a few steps ahead of me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back