Elk head skinning

cgsmith

Dec 28, 2012
Do most guys cape the head and only carry the cape and antlers, or do you pack the entire head out?  I assume the head weighs quite a bit.

Are there any good YouTube videos demonstrating the proper field caping techniques?

I usually carry the whole head and cape in one trip.

Here is a video this may shed some insight to caping the head and whole elk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5gOlfJ11Q

Usually the head and cape for me as well, unless I have already decided on a euro mount then its skull and antlers only.

Me too, Usually head and cape then will take care of the head once at camp and have more time.  Most the time it comes out on the first load and I'm having to make more pack trips to get the meat taken care of.  But getting it done the sooner the better. Comes off a lot easier.

We take the whole head out as well. Its alot easier to take care of when you get home and have all your saws and knifes for getting the skin off.

I have helped with two elk, both will be head mounts so it all was packed out. One was taken to a taxidermist and the second one, I will do myself. I removed the cape from the head at camp, then lightly salted every inch of it (non-iodized table salt). We had 3 days left to hunt and 2 day drive home. Just in case I decided to do a European mount, I removed as much flesh and brains as possible, then salted it well. I then wet salted a cotton bag and wrapped it around the skull to keep the flys and such at bay.

Attachments

• packing3.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back