Elk hunting in Montana for first time

Gunner1177

Dec 30, 2018
Hi everyone, a friend and I are planning a do it your self elk hunt for the fall of 2019. I?m looking for some local advice on what areas to check out along with what to expect. I?m 3200 km away in Northern Ontario.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time of year? Archery? Rifle? How do you feel about hunting in grizzly country? I may have a couple recommendations.

arik1 said:
What time of year? Archery? Rifle? How do you feel about hunting in grizzly country? I may have a couple recommendations.

Rifle for this time, we are thinking opening week or second ( what would you recommend)
I?m good with hunting in Grizzly country,

For rifle hunting, I've only ever hunted the areas around Ennis, Cameron, and West Yellowstone. Love the Ennis area. There's a nice motel there if you want to day trip, or forest service cabins all over that are a good low cost option that put you right in elk country at some of them. Lots of elk out there. Had to eat my tag last time out there, but it wasn't for lack of opportunities.

arik1 said:
For rifle hunting, I've only ever hunted the areas around Ennis, Cameron, and West Yellowstone. Love the Ennis area. There's a nice motel there if you want to day trip, or forest service cabins all over that are a good low cost option that put you right in elk country at some of them. Lots of elk out there. Had to eat my tag last time out there, but it wasn't for lack of opportunities.

I?m bringing a 14x16 tent to setup and we will use that for our base camp. From there we will have a small spike camp if we need to get further out, we will use motels once in a while to wash up and refresh. I completely understand on not being successful, that?s good old hunting[emoji41]

I?m a Outfitter from Cochrane Ontario Canada my self.
What are the areas (zones) in the places you mentioned.

Mules...mule deer? Or pack mules? I'm assuming you mean the deer, and yes, plenty of them. My hunting partner got a nice buck while we were there, and I missed a 250 yard shot at another one.

arik1 said:
Mules...mule deer? Or pack mules? I'm assuming you mean the deer, and yes, plenty of them. My hunting partner got a nice buck while we were there, and I missed a 250 yard shot at another one.
Sorry yes deer.
What would you recommend for a spotting scope.

Honestly, I never used mine unless we were glassing stuff from the pickup. Just seemed like unnecessary weight in the day pack. My vortex 10x42's showed me way more elk than the spotter did. But my spotter is a leopold 15-45x60 I believe. Don't really need much more than that.

arik1 said:
Honestly, I never used mine unless we were glassing stuff from the pickup. Just seemed like unnecessary weight in the day pack. My vortex 10x42's showed me way more elk than the spotter did. But my spotter is a leopold 15-45x60 I believe. Don't really need much more than that.

Sorry for all the questions.
Can you give me a idea of good access roads places for base camps etc... just wondering about narrowing down a bit more. 

Just be careful about how many details you guys post on here about specific spots. You get too specific and you'll have an army of new hunters in your area next year. PM's might be best for specifics.

cohunter14 said:
Just be careful about how many details you guys post on here about specific spots. You get too specific and you'll have an army of new hunters in your area next year. PM's might be best for specifics.

That makes sense, this is the first time I use a sight like this. 
Are you ok if I private message you or even give you a call to discuss further?
Thanks again

Gunner, it's not a problem at all. Was just throwing it out there to make sure you guys don't get too far along in your discussion.

To send a Private Message, simply click the little quote icon below a user's name. Or if you are using Tapatalk, you should be able to click on the 'Messages' button on the bottom of the screen and start a new conversation there. With all the help arik1 has been providing, I'd start with shooting him a message. I won't be much help for you as I've never hunted Montana.

Good luck!

cohunter14 said:
Gunner, it's not a problem at all. Was just throwing it out there to make sure you guys don't get too far along in your discussion.

To send a Private Message, simply click the little quote icon below a user's name. Or if you are using Tapatalk, you should be able to click on the 'Messages' button on the bottom of the screen and start a new conversation there. With all the help arik1 has been providing, I'd start with shooting him a message. I won't be much help for you as I've never hunted Montana.

Good luck!
Thanks very much for the info.
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back