Elk Hunting Specific Workouts

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
In the University of Elk Hunting course, Corey says that "There is no denying that you will be a better elk hunter if you are in better shape. Improving your physical conditioning will absolutely increase your opportunities in the elk mountains. I am not saying that you can't be successful if you aren't in great shape - I'm simply saying that if you get into better shape, you will have more opportunities for success. Additionally, you will be less likely to suffer an injury or experience as much pain during your hunt."

We already have the thread that asks 'What did you do today', but for those that haven't gone through the University of Elk Hunting course and seen the different workouts that are laid out for you, let's hear from you what workouts you do throughout the year to increase your success in the elk woods. How have they paid off for you in the past? If you elk hunted prior to starting these workouts, did you notice a difference in how you felt during the hunt? Do you utilize any of the hunting-specific supplements that are out there?

Let's hear what you personally choose to do and why you choose to do it. Why should others follow your method?

cohunter14 said:
In the University of Elk Hunting course, Corey says that "There is no denying that you will be a better elk hunter if you are in better shape. Improving your physical conditioning will absolutely increase your opportunities in the elk mountains. I am not saying that you can't be successful if you aren't in great shape - I'm simply saying that if you get into better shape, you will have more opportunities for success. Additionally, you will be less likely to suffer an injury or experience as much pain during your hunt."

We already have the thread that asks 'What did you do today', but for those that haven't gone through the University of Elk Hunting course and seen the different workouts that are laid out for you, let's hear from you what workouts you do throughout the year to increase your success in the elk woods. How have they paid off for you in the past? If you elk hunted prior to starting these workouts, did you notice a difference in how you felt during the hunt? Do you utilize any of the hunting-specific supplements that are out there?

Let's hear what you personally choose to do and why you choose to do it. Why should others follow your method?

I don't have specific workouts, but I have specific muscle groups that mean way more to me than others.

That's a strong core, back, and legs.

The core in my opinion is your foundation to everything.
You can have strong individual muscles, but without a strong core in the center to keep it all together then I think you're in trouble. I also believe having a strong core helps you maintain a better level of balance which can be useful on trips.

Legs are a given. You need to hike: up, far, and with weight on your back. If you tire quickly or can't make it to where the elk are... then you're in trouble.

Back is also a given. Try carrying 85+lb packs out of the woods, down or up a mountain, etc with a weak back.... it doesn't go well.

In the end I think those are the three most important muscles, but EVERYTHING is truly important.
I workout regularly to keep my mountain performance levels at their peak and TO PREVENT INJURY!

I spend the whole year working out 3-5 times a week in the gym (leg/shoulder day, back/biceps day, chest/triceps day) and I try to run at least 3 days per week (about 3 miles each run). The winter months are tough to get motivated with running outdoors because of the cold and the fact that it gets dark so early, so i do mix in some treadmill in place of actual running. When summer hits, I start running stairs at least 1-2 times per week in the tallest building I can find. That really helps with climbing. I've never felt better in the mountains than I did last Fall and I plan to go even harder this year.  :train:

Bull_Fighter said:
I spend the whole year working out 3-5 times a week in the gym (leg/shoulder day, back/biceps day, chest/triceps day) and I try to run at least 3 days per week (about 3 miles each run). The winter months are tough to get motivated with running outdoors because of the cold and the fact that it gets dark so early, so i do mix in some treadmill in place of actual running. When summer hits, I start running stairs at least 1-2 times per week in the tallest building I can find. That really helps with climbing. I've never felt better in the mountains than I did last Fall and I plan to go even harder this year.  :train:

You will be in great shape come September! Great job.

I?m part of the university but I came across a podcast once and I wasn?t paying too much attention but one part that got me was ?instead of trying to spend $2,000 for a super light rifle that maybe saves you 2-3 pounds....make yourself 2-3 lbs lighter? (it was a long distance hunting podcast).

So I did. I?ve dropped a few pant sizes and noticed already how much easier thing are! 

Hiking with a loaded pack and a mask to restrict breathing (simulating altitude) is my solution for being at sea level. Also carrying a weight similar to my bow in my hand.

Lift weights 5-6 days/ week.
Alternate cardio days of steady state then HIIT.
Shoot my bow every other day.

I used the Backcountry Hunter program fro MTI last year and it was a legit program. The programming was great and the company had great CS and was very responsive to questions. It is no joke though

planks are great.
i also put on a pack with weight and step up a box over and over and................
you get the point.

I like planks and Pushups. I have to keep my core strong or my bad back kills me. Having pain and numbness during your hunt and a week afterwards sucks! If I work on my core and keep it strong I only have a few aches and some soreness but ready to go the next day. :upthumb:

I climb our Liquid Oxygen and Nitrogen Tank at work. Climbing stairs all day in the plant is a good workout. When i get home i do a quick WOD in the garage gym and Yoga every other morning.

Exo packs has a great workout through Atomic Athlete for free that anyone can do at home.
Most important for me is running at least 12 mi per week, 1 heavy ruck per week, and then a multitude of core and leg exercises throughout the week

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back