Elk messing with cams!

Idn8tive

May 29, 2014
Anybody else have problems with elk messing with their cams?  Past couple of years I have had several elk mess with my cams.  Just last week went up to check cams, one on a wallow, and found the cam spun 180 degrees around the tree.  Did catch him leaving though and he had mud halfway up his side, guess he didn't want photographed while bathing.
Having trouble posting pics, files to large

Here are some pics!  First one is from last year, dont mind the date.

Attachments

• MDGC0789 (640x480).jpg
    MDGC0789 (640x480).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 99
  • MANT1263 (640x480).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 65
  • MANT1261 (640x480).jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 52
Here is the bull that was hitting the wallow where my cam was spun around the tree

Attachments

• MDGC0886 (640x480).jpg
    MDGC0886 (640x480).jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 56
To some that is always a good problem to have  ;D  maybe try hanging it higher with a downward tilt?. I have a couple all white shots but have never had one move my camera. Sweet pics!

It is a constant problem.  If you set your cams to video you will begin to learn that they can sense the cameras.  Electromagnetic field of some sort.  I hang my cameras higher now so they can't reach them.  I have lots of footage of them licking and bumping them.  I have had them rip them right off the tree a couple of times. 

I had mine set on a post @ 6' and one broke the strap/lock plastic crap they call a strap/lock base on  my newer Bushnell...last time it was a Moultrie.
Good thing I have paracord & elec tape.
Young cow was doing selfies on it. LOL

Not sure about elk but here in VA bears will kill a trail cam. We put them in metal box's. On video mode you can watch them lick on it and rub they're head on it. Something about the scent must draw them right to it.

I had mine set to 3 triggered pictures. Got a picture with nothing, then with a small section of antler, then the view shifts to the right about a foot hahaha

Happens all the time if camera is low enough. I have one in a bear box, stopped it from being moved off my target trail/wallow.  But still get lots of muzzle/eye/ antler close ups.  I like seeing some of those.  The cam I have with no bear box I put higher in a tree, about 7 ft. Bull used its antler to knock the camera around the tree this year.

Attachments

• MFDC0264.JPG
    MFDC0264.JPG
    663.8 KB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back