Elk Shed Hunting

huntography

Dec 29, 2012
This year, I plan on scheduling some days to go shed hunting in the areas I hope to archery elk hunt here in Colorado.

From your experience, when is a good time to start getting out there to find new sheds?

I ask because I believe the high country areas I hunt in may be knee deep in snow at the moment [March 9].

Thanks in advance all!

Rudy

Rudy, if those areas are that deep with snow, there is a chance that the elk aren\'t in there right now. If they aren\'t in there at this time of year, you won\'t find sheds there. The areas to find sheds more than likely differ quite a bit from the areas you archery hunt, unless the herd stays in the area year round.

\"cohunter14\" said:
Rudy, if those areas are that deep with snow, there is a chance that the elk aren\'t in there right now. If they aren\'t in there at this time of year, you won\'t find sheds there. The areas to find sheds more than likely differ quite a bit from the areas you archery hunt, unless the herd stays in the area year round.

Good point. They are probably at lower elevations.

R

Rudy
A place to start would be getting on the Colorado Hunting Atlas, using the elk wintering concentration filter.
The way the winter has been, it just might get you into some sheds.

\"cnelk\" said:
Rudy
A place to start would be getting on the Colorado Hunting Atlas, using the elk wintering concentration filter.
The way the winter has been, it just might get you into some sheds.

Thanks Brad!

Will do.

R

Sheds are great ... went for a ride today ... Wife found two more mulie sheds (last year\'s, but so what?)

Saw about 30 mulies, 50 pronghorn, and a few elk, too.

Here\'s our \"collection\".

Attachments

• DSCN7187.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 151
They should be starting to drop antlers now. Saw some neighborhood muleys with antlers last week. When I was a Park Ranger there were three BIG bulls wintering together that held their antlers into the first week of May.

Elk shed hunting has become such a big business, especially for the commercial guys who are restricted in Utah (very short \"season\", need to have a license, etc..) that they\'ve gotten really organized in CO, and sometimes militant since big money is involved. Over in the NW corner where I hunted last year, there were teams of spotters marking sheds with GPS coordinates, ground teams going onto private land to snatch antlers spotted from above. WW can tell you all about that stuff.

One pair of guys I know said they made a couple thousand dollars in a weekend, with just an average haul. The secret is to find a wintering concentration of bulls ahead of time, then keep track of them. But if you\'re doing it, figure other guys are too.

Brad ... of course they\'re \"Italian\" ... isn\'t that where St. Patrick is from?

No ... those are IRISH flags.

Oh, that\'s right ... you don\'t drink dark beer, so you wouldn\'t know!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back