Elk sounds

linds1007

Dec 28, 2012
When Elk do what i have been told is glunking what are they telling you and is barking saying the same thing?

I've read somewhere that the bark means somethinglike I know you're there so show yourself.  When I heard that bark I knew I was busted and moved on to find another bull. 

linds,

I don't personally get too tied up in worrying about what elk are saying, and focus more on what I need to say to them to get them in close. That being aid, I've heard barks used 2 different ways....one as a warning (most common), and another as a curiosity/frustration. Sometimes when a bull comes in and knows where a sound is coming from (your bugle or cow call), but can't see another elk there, they will bark....kind of a "something isn't right here" bark.

Glunking is completely different, and is a sound a bull makes typically when he is following a hot cow. When I hear a bull glunking, I try to get close quickly, because there is usually some action happening somewhere nearby!

There is a warning bark and when you hear that, game is OVER and they are blowing out of there.  There is also a sound that sounds somewhat like a bark, but it is more of demand to show yourself cause they know that something is there.  Elknut (Paul Medel) calls it a Nervous or Popping grunt and this I have heard multiple times.  Usually, if they don't get a response of seeing another elk, they tend to silently slip away.  I have had them come check me out with cow calls, especially if I retreat giving cow calls and leave my buddy up front.  Immature bull sounds also sometimes get them to come in, and here is where a decoy really makes a difference.

I had a great experience this year using a Nervous grunt. We had a very windy day and there was not much going on. My dad had walked off to stretch his legs and I started using the Nervous grunt through my bugle tube in about 2 second intervals about 30 seconds at a time with short breaks. In less then five minutes I had a bull come to the bottom of the little meadow I was watching and give me the Nervous grunt back. I tried calling my dad back to the area to see if he could get a chance at him cause I had not way to get to him. It didn't work out but I learned a new method in a pinch ;)

I got some great glunkling on film this year.  If you look at the idaho otc 2012 clips and turn up the volume at the end you'll catch come of it.  Another bull does the aggressive grunt/chuckle and the herd bull immediately runs at him at about the 4:05 mark. A bark is completely different, shorter and cuts off quickly.  It is similar to a dog hence the name.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back