Elk vs. sheep and cattle

Jun 9, 2014
Today at lunch here at Elk101.com we had a discussion about the effects that sheep and cattle have on Elk behavior and patterns. It brought to mind a few questions that I personally would love to hear everyone's opinions on.

Do sheep and cows push Elk out of an area all together? Do they stay in the area but change patterns? If they do push out will they return to the area after the sheep or cows are gone? Etc.

We all had our own thoughts and experiences on this topic but I'd like to hear what everyone out there has to say? If you've got stories or real life experiences with this please share!

I watched a nice 5 point bull one night feed out into a group of 50 or so sheep, he stayed near them all night. I've saw elk around cattle a lot and they don't seem to bother them to much. Me on the other hand I like to hunt away from the bovine type.

I think it just depends on whether the elk in the area have been forced to get used to livestock or not. 
I've been out scouting a back country area and seeing awesome elk numbers every day...then 500 head of free range cattle roll through and poof...not an elk within 50 miles.
I've also had guys hunting north of me complain about not seeing any elk but a lot of sheep...while I'm farther south literally surrounded by elk  ;D

On my trail cams when sheep come thru it takes any where from two to four days for the elk to start coming back. With cows I have seen elk move by them but never be to close to them. Thats my experiences anyway.

i kind of agree if they are in the same area all the time (at least with cattle) it seems to have little to no effect but anytime you introduce something new to there environment they will react deer seem to react way more than elk maybe just because they are bigger i have had outfitters tell me how hot bulls have ran into them just upon hearing his horses and mules walking rocky trails thinking they may be other elk lol im guessing they were up wind 

In the mtn's on FS land where elk/deer are the norm and cattle seasonal intruder, seems like elk and deer will avoid them or move.
Where I am with mix of ranches and BLM/State lands,cattle are the norm and the elk don't care. Deer different story.
Seen big herds of elk push right thru large gatherings of cattle. If the cattle have over grazed and not much feed,they elk will move to greener pastures.
With the drought here in NM, ranchers are reducing cattle numbers. Elk keep increasing. 

We have hunted several lease grazing allotments with both sheep and cattle.  Most of the time the elk don't seem to care either way that they are sharing the grazing.  It does increase the grizzly proximity if there are "slow elk" or sheep in the area as they tend to be the chosen fodder for those large predators.  Last year my brother-in-law and I were both able to take bulls in archery season with cows grazing about 200 yards away.  Some have mentioned that the level of conditioning the elk/deer have to livestock may play a roll, but it had been six years since the grazing lease had been used in the area we hunted last fall.  Like every situation there are always exceptions to the rule.

Iv hunted a district for 35 years now that have shared with cattle and the cattle have no negative effects on the elk, they will eat and sleep next to each other, The only thing i noticed is the elk are less like to bust you cause of sound cause the cows are always making noise and they become use to the sticks breaking and what have you.

cattle dont seem to bother the elk in our area as long as theres enough food for both, the elk will move out first though. the biggest issue abouthunting around cows for me is they spook really easy and the herd lets everything know for miles theres somethining out there especially if the lead cow has a bell on. i do however like to skirt the cattle herd if they are moving in the same direction as me, it provides great cover sound.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back