emailed my doc about my max heartrate.

Boom

Aug 6, 2017
ive been climbing hills on my bike.
i finally got a watch all the cool kids are wearing.  the Garmin Instinct.  it tracks my rides and my HR.  i was shocked at the data.  first my ride is way longer than i thought all these years.
and my HR, it hits 181 at the more heinous of climbs.  conventional wisdom is 220 minus my age..puts me at 168bpm.  i can still whisper at 181..
i know cars..red line is okay..over red-line.  no bueno.
my doc is stoked.  she said to stay at it.  i hope my max drops as i progress.  i think it will as my body gets more efficient.  my resting HR is 61..not bad for a geezer. hehe.

Nice work! It's nice to get the doctor's sign-off so you know exactly how hard to push it and not be worried by it. Maybe your heart rate will come down just from the peace of mind.  :-D

Keep at it, it's good motivation for those of us that have been too busy making excuses.

Boom said:
i finally got a watch all the cool kids are wearing.  the Garmin Instinct.  it tracks my rides and my HR.  i was shocked at the data.  first my ride is way longer than i thought all these years.
and my HR, it hits 181 at the more heinous of climbs.  conventional wisdom is 220 minus my age..puts me at 168bpm.  i can still whisper at 181..
my doc is stoked.  she said to stay at it.  i hope my max drops as i progress.  i think it will as my body gets more efficient.  my resting HR is 61..not bad for a geezer. hehe.

Interesting..... you know Cliff, my heart rate reaches the same height when I am talking to engineers...  :tease: :dance2: :haha:

DTP said:
Boom said:

Interesting..... you know Cliff, my heart rate reaches the same height when I am talking to engineers...  :tease: :dance2: :haha:

Oh. We have jokes?  Haha.

Hey one thing to consider is the inaccuracy of wrist HR monitors. I do endurance MTB races throughout the year and a lot of my training involves HR data. I?ve learned that wrist monitors / watches are not nearly as accurate as chest strap HR monitors. I don?t really like wearing a chest strap, but I want good data...and the watches are pretty bad in my experience. Just my opinion.

When I was 43 I had a widow maker heart attack.  I was working out 3-6 days a week and had won the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan Am?s just 7 months prior. The Cardiologist that put stent in in me said that?s why I was still alive. I had 100% blockage and there is a 95% mortality rate and life expectancy is less than 10 minutes. I was very fortunate to survive.

Fast forward 9 years and I did my first elk hunt in NW Colorado. About two months before the trip my cardiologist said we haven?t done a stress test in a while.  I showed him the previous months data from my fit bit. Just that morning I had done a weighted pack hike of 4 miles and gotten my HR to a peak of 165 and ten minutes after the hike my HR was down to 110 with an average HR of 115 for the hike.  He laughed and said we never would have taken your HR that high in the stress test.  When mountain biking I regularly could get my rate into the 180?s.  I could go all day at 180 but once I hit 185 my body said stop and test.  One drainage we hunted was so steep I peaked at 196 bpm. I have never had it that high before or since and had to rest about 20 minutes to get my rate down low enough to keep going.

We plan on going again this fall and I plan on doing the same work outs I did last year. 2-4 days a week backpack cardio with a 40-75 lb pack 2-4 miles before work. Then 3-4 days a week 1/2 hour yoga followed by 1/2 hour kettlebell work out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back