Ethics

Elkoholic

Jan 8, 2013
So here is the situation,You have a buddy set back behind you 60yrds calling. You have a hot bull coming in. You've ranged a couple trees and he's going to walk by at around 30yrds. You realize you forgot to put your stopper call in you mouth and the bull is too close to reach down and get it. What's your call? Do you take a 30yrd walking shot, or do you attempt to make a call or some noise with your mouth to stop him or possible spook him out of there?

Great question!

I hope I never forget to put my diaphragm in my mouth to stop a bull, but it happens. My good friend Steve Chappell uses a "deer bleat" with his voice to stop bulls, and it seems to work great. If I was in that situation, that's what I would be using. It doesn't seem to spook the elk, and gets them to stop for a good shot.

Just make a noise is the best thing. The elk will stop for a split second giving you enought time to touch one off. I have a buddy who killed a really nice 5x5. The bull was 20 yards and walking. When the bull's nose went behind a tree my buddy just said "hey bull" the bull stopped with his head/neck behind the tree leaving the engine room wide open. He let er' have it and the elk ran 100 yards and piled up.
The same friend told me that when an elk is walking and not focused on you, not to draw if the elk's neck or shoulders go behind a tree because they tend to take one more step and stop and look at you and that puts the vitals behind a tree. He said to draw when the vitals go behind a tree because then when he stops his vitals will be showing on his "one" step forward. And if he spooks he will run 15 yards and look at you so be ready for that shot. I dunno if it works, but he kills elk every year and I just started so I'm going to listen till I learn on my own otherwise.

I think this comes down to the shooters capabilities more than ethics. I would try and stop him if he didn't stop I would shoot if given a good good clear shot. But I practice shooting at pop bottles at 30-40 yards on a runner line at my local archery range.

Ill make any noise i can to get him to stop and once he does ill send that arrow through his wheelhouse.

The nervous grunt sound is probably the easiest to learn without a call in your mouth so that would be the way to go. they will almost always stop for that sound ;)

Exact senario occurred with my friend and he meowed like a cat. The bull stopped and he put an arrow thru both lungs.

Garrett Weaver said:
I think this comes down to the shooters capabilities more than ethics. I would try and stop him if he didn't stop I would shoot if given a good good clear shot. But I practice shooting at pop bottles at 30-40 yards on a runner line at my local archery range.

I agree with this because my opinion on the matter is it comes down to the shooter and the situation. Drawing attention to yourself by giving a nervous grunt you give the bull a chance to jump your string depending on the distance. Also may not be a safe shot if he is moving too quick. I think a bow hunter show know his limits, those are ethics to follow in my opinion.

I guess ethics comes into play if you are not confident in your calling or moving target ability and just start launching arrows so that you dont miss the 'opportunity'.  If you dont pratice on a moving target dont ever make that shot on a live animal (I havent taken a shot on a moving elk in 4 years).
What I have done is a low sounding bugle-ish sound...hard to explain but I close my mouth like I am about to whistle but it starts as a low sound from my diaphram and then ends in a high bugle whistle sound.  (only a second or two long)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back