Every year

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Every year:

-- I think of going somewhere new, but end up at \"my spot\"

-- I realize I need to shoot more

-- I pack, repack, and re-repack

-- I debate everything from what tent to use to what pants to wear

-- I\'m more prepared than ever and still not prepared for the \"audibles\" that will need to be called on Game Day

-- I worry about being separated from my work (how will they operate without me?)

-- I start having dreams about elk hunting from the end of July onward

-- I worry I haven\'t done enough to be successful, and I wonder if I\'m kidding myself about being any good at this

But ...

This year is coming together with confidence even though I\'m already having to change plans over and over. I\'m starting to not worry so much about the plan, and starting to think about the game. We don\'t know what the elk will do, but I do know:

-- I\'ll be there

-- I have the skills and ability to do this

-- I\'ll put away expectations and live in the hunt, a little more, year after year.

-- I\'m going to \"simplify, simplify\" this year, and concentrate on fundamentals, and trust that if something out of the ordinary is needed, it\'ll happen if I just stay in the game

What are your thoughts \"Every year\"?

Some of my bigger ones are:

I wonder if anyone else will be in my spot or near my area
I wonder if I\'ve trained hard enough
I wonder if I\'ve shot enough
I wonder if I scouted enough

The closer I get the more I dwell on it! I also have dreams start kicking in like you, John.
My wife actually woke me up from one last night and I was NOT please haha

My thoughts....

Am I going to draw what I put in for

Should I apply elsewhere as I don\'t want to draw multiple tags. (this one bit me this year as everyone including me thought I would draw where I put in for with my 14 points.)

Ok, I didnt draw now where do I plan.

Am I going to be able to afford this

And now after what I did to my ankle a week ago my biggest thoughts are. Am I going to be able to handle this? Am I going to be that far out of shape? Should I just blow this off this year? Im not getting any younger.....

Attachments

• ankle.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 210
Before retiring and when hunting my old area it was:

- How can I turn two weeks of vacation into the whole season in the woods (thanks AT&T for MiFi! )
- What size bull should I settle for?

Since retiring and trying to learn a totally new area it is:

-Which spots should I hunt early in the season vs later
- Should I shoot a cow for meat since I only get one tag now? Especially with all the antlers hanging in the garage rafters and basement?
- Will other guys be hunting the new spots I\'m scouting this summer?

Deertick, I have a lot of the same thoughts. Especially, the shooting part. When I had my acreage, it was so easy to just step outside and launch a few arrows whenever I felt like it having a target set out 50 yds from my back door. Now I have closer neighbors and even though I have an acre lot, I don\'t feel comfortable shooting much past 20 because there is no barrier between my place and the neighbors. So to shoot longer ranges means a trip to the local outdoor range so I don\'t get near as much long distance shooting practice.

Let\'s see...

Every year I make preparations and plan way ahead of time, yet somehow always forget something or come up with something new to add to the packing list.

Because of this, every year I am a bit more organized than the prior year, which is a good thing.

Every year I am convinced I have a solid plan of where I am going to hunt, and that always seems to change for one reason or another.

Every year I am convinced I am going to fill my tag opening morning...and if that doesn\'t happen, I have to convince myself that it will be the next day, or the next day.

This year a new thought has entered the conversation: will I be able to get in and arrow my first elk with a bow? And because I am spending so much time preparing for the archery hunt, will I still be as prepared for the rifle hunt?

\"Don K\" said:
And now after what I did to my ankle a week ago my biggest thoughts are. Am I going to be able to handle this? Am I going to be that far out of shape? Should I just blow this off this year? Im not getting any younger.....

Stick with it Don and make the best of what you can do right now. There is a lot of ways to do cardio when only having one good foot, like propelling yourself around on crutches or just hoping around the house on one foot. You are right that you aren\'t getting any younger. Find a way to get out there again this year!

\"iccyman001\" said:
Some of my bigger ones are:

I wonder if anyone else will be in my spot or near my area
I wonder if I\'ve trained hard enough
I wonder if I\'ve shot enough
I wonder if I scouted enough

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I think you only have to worry about the one you have no control over. The first one. As for the others you are ready.

Deertick, I\'m the world\'s worst or best(depending on how you look at it) for lists! I have a list to remind me to make a list kinda thing!! :)

For hunting or scouting, I\'ll have an extensive list that gets updated with each trip. I have 100% confidence that if everything is checked off then I won\'t be without any necessity and pretty much all \'want to haves\' too.

I\'m in a different place this year with a coveted, once-in-a-lifetime CO tag. So, I\'m worrying much more and looking at things I wouldn\'t normally take like a chest freezer then how would I get everything home if I add an elk and a bear to the mix.

I am usually behind on my shooting although my confidence level is high with my bow and setup. Training is a year-round thing so not really concerned here other than picking up the pace this last month or so. Been hunting private land last couple of years and that truly changes what you feel is required for a successful hunt.

Not worried about how much beer to bring - just toss in a 750ml of Buffalo Trace and good to go!

Different perspective since this is my fourth year hunting:

Where should I go?
When can I go?
Will my son be coming?
Will I get us lost?
Will my wife be pissed that I am going?
Will my work be pissed that I\'m going?
Will we see any elk?
Will we see other people?
Will we ever get an opportunity to take an elk?
Am I actually hunting or just wandering around the woods?
Should I put in for the draw or keep collecting points?
Is OTC an impossible scenario for the lack of scouting I am able to do each year?
Why do I do this?
Will my son be into it this year?
Do I have everything I need?
How can I do this on more of a budget?
Am I as bad at hunting as it feels?
Will my wife\'s next husband be the one that my son gets an elk with?

:help2:

my biggest fear is other hunters.....

and .... i don\'t even pretend to think that i know what i am doing. so no worries there :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back