Exo vs Mystery Ranch

Willdorf

Jul 30, 2018
I was curious how the Exo 5500 stacks up against the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. I have the Metcalf, but being a lover of packs and after watching the born and raised outdoors series and seeing them perform for those guys it got me wondering if anyone has used both and had some input on how they compare to each other?

interesting comparison.  sadly,  have no clue. 

like you, i have my MR Metcalf and it fits great!!  only done a big handful of trout fishing long distance hikes with it.  i know for a fact that a crayfish trap cinches nicely to the outside. :)

I like the side pockets on the K3500 for spotting scope or what ever you can cram in it. Messed with the Metcalf a while before I bought the EXO. I think they?re both great packs, I just prefer the layout of the 3500.

For me that is my one big complaint about the Metcalf is the lac of pockets to keep your stuff organized. I have a kuiu icon pro and I love the pockets it has in it. But it doesn't carry weight as nice as my Metcalf

I have had a metcalf for the last year-ish. then, on Thanksgiving this year, I found out I won the EXO pack from Born and Raised for their CO giveaway. I got the 5500. So I have hunted with both, but only really packed in and camped with my metcalf. Both are comfortable so that is really not "one is a clear winner". The external pockets, the accessories, and the roll top are all pluses in my opinion. I'm selling my metcalf.

I didn't reply to this sooner because I had no experience with Mystery Ranch. I have a Kuiu and an Exo K3500. Plus I've backpacked for years so several other backpacks as well as assorted Day packs. The Exo is by far the best I own. I only kept the Kuiu for a loaner when friends or family need it. I've seen the others on videos and it only confirms it.
Congrats on the win!

I'm an absolute hater of all things pockets, less is more for me. In my icon I loose stuff becuase there's so many pockets. You'd be hard pressed to do better than your metcalf (assuming it fits you well). That said there's absolutely nothing wrong the the EXO either, but I'm not sure I'd dump one for another. Both very very good packs.

Thanks for the input guys. I do like the Metcalf. EricJoppa you won the prize I was crossing my fingers for! HA HA.

I have an exo. I went that route just from what I read and watched on between the 2 websites. I am very happy with the exo and the way it performs. Have not packed anything heavy yet, but that is to come.

I have the Mystery Ranch Pintler - same frame as the Metcalf. One of our hunting group members got the EXO pack last year. We hunted together and exchanged packs to try each others out. We agreed that they are both great packs and the fit is relatively the same. The mystery ranch has a stiffer hip belt but the EXO has slightly more padding on the hip and lumbar. Both packs are capable of carrying more weight than our bodies would allow.
In short, neither myself nor the EXO owner would spend the money or time to change brands - You can't go wrong either way. Only reason why I have the Mystery Ranch is because the cost is significantly lower.

The elktalk podcast provides a good overview of the heritage of MR and an emphasis on the design, purpose, and materials. Undoubtably both packs will perform well. I have used MR products for 12 years, have a Metcalf, and would like to upgrade to the guide light frame.

ben782 said:
I have the Mystery Ranch Pintler - same frame as the Metcalf. One of our hunting group members got the EXO pack last year. We hunted together and exchanged packs to try each others out. We agreed that they are both great packs and the fit is relatively the same. The mystery ranch has a stiffer hip belt but the EXO has slightly more padding on the hip and lumbar. Both packs are capable of carrying more weight than our bodies would allow.
In short, neither myself nor the EXO owner would spend the money or time to change brands - You can't go wrong either way. Only reason why I have the Mystery Ranch is because the cost is significantly lower.

How much weight did y?all carry in each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a 3500 , my hunting partner has the met calf ( or bigger MR) we will have to switch on our spring bear hunt. Love the exo thou

big44a4 said:
ben782 said:
I have the Mystery Ranch Pintler - same frame as the Metcalf. One of our hunting group members got the EXO pack last year. We hunted together and exchanged packs to try each others out. We agreed that they are both great packs and the fit is relatively the same. The mystery ranch has a stiffer hip belt but the EXO has slightly more padding on the hip and lumbar. Both packs are capable of carrying more weight than our bodies would allow. [br /] In short, neither myself nor the EXO owner would spend the money or time to change brands - You can't go wrong either way. Only reason why I have the Mystery Ranch is because the cost is significantly lower.

How much weight did y?all carry in each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we packed out our elk, we each had a boned-out rear quarter. Both carried it equally well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back