EXTENDED: Hunt Success Photo Contest

so far everything here is awesome! congrats to all just wish i had more to enter than a cull buck i shot this weekend with my bow horns werent even  long enough to make him an eligible buck but man he will eat so good! keep up the great work boys

After the success of last year, like others, I couldn’t wait till the 2014 season. During the off season a lot took place such as the birth of my beautiful daughter and picking up the family and moving from WY to CA (due to work, not by choice). So needless to say I was constantly looking forward to elk season where I can get back to basics with old friends. 1,100 miles later I was home. Anticipating all of the beauties to been seen that words could not describe and pictures would do injustice.

Day 6 was the day my season ended. My good friend Scott and I set out that morning and got on what sounded like 3 bulls working a ridge. We knew where they were going to be so we took our time hoping they would be nice and comfy when we got there. As always, the elk did not get the same memo and we met them on the way. They busted and we were stuck with our bums in the wind. We then worked the ridge to the top and decided that we should just take the time and enjoy the day right there. That afternoon we trekked to the other side of the ridge and began our afternoon hunt. Keep in mind that we had not heard a single elk since 0900 that morning. It was now 1630.

We like to hunt silent till we get close. So letting a bugle rip is slightly out of the norm. Reason being, where we hunt is public general area. So everybody and their brother like to hunt there.

God bless Will Primos. He makes good product. I don’t personally use them but that is my choice. Then there are those videos. Oh how I wish he would rename those hunting videos from “the TRUTH about hunting” to “the TRUTH about hunting PRIVATE LAND” because every one of the hunters in our area think that they need to bugle and call as much as Mr. Primos and his merry band of men.

So at 1630 we let a locater rip on the top of this saddle. We got an immediate response with a almost 10 second long bugle about 80 yards away. It was the longest bugle in the history of bugles.  We then set up and I was fortunate enough to be offered a shot at 50 yards and capitalized. He went 40 yards and piled up. Double lung and diaphragm were destroyed by that Ulmer Edge.

I was lucky harvest such a fine animal. I am thankful to the animal and the big guy above. And I am thankful to have experienced it with a group of ol friends.

Attachments

• 2014 bull.jpg
    2014 bull.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1
OTC-General Tag- MT  (Just the way I like it)

Early season has been and always will be my favorite time to hunt.  Having the luxury of living within 30 minutes of this area always gives me an advantage when the season begins.July and August scouting and trail cams make all the difference.
  September 2014 started just like every early September in the Big Hole valley. Quiet. Opening day found me in the middle of a tight lipped herd. My subsequent stalk after some subtle calling setups ended with nothing to show.  September 7 would be different.
  The 3 mile walk in the dark was pretty fast.  My partner and I can cover some ground.  Having a partner who is at the same physical fitness level as yourself is absolutely vital.  We didn't hear a bugle all morning, however.  From my scouting this year and years past, I knew exactly where these elk would be, vocal or not- we headed into the jungle.  After hearing a bugle near a well-used wallow at 2 p.m., confidence was pretty high.  Our setup over the wallow was pretty simple, my partner subtly calling for a half hour or so, wind blowing strongly in our face.  I was just getting into a good nap when everything changed.  A bull appeared out of nowhere with 3 cows.  He led the way up the mountain and stopped a 40 yards , dead away, waiting for the women.  They passed and he abrubtly laid down, presenting nothing but antlers to shoot at.  The cows continued to mill around the wallow until an unseen calf ran in from below.  Apparently, the bull was wondering what all the commotion was and stood up and grazed his way to 20 yards.  The Ulmer Edge hit him like a ton of bricks, a little higher that I would like, and he was off to the races. We waited the hour, found minimal blood, and found him piled up within 150 yards.  It was the second day of the season, and I owed my partner big (especially after the pack-out).  I would pay him back in full the following weekend, but that's another story! 

Attachments

• elk2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 6
  • elk3.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 3
Just a heads up, we are voting on the winners right now! Keep an eye out in your email and for a forum post with the winners!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back