Eyes on first elk ever...

scotttgill

Jun 15, 2018
I'm such a newbie I've been planning on hunting elk for the first time this fall and I've never actually seen one! Two years ago I began this journey by reading and listening to everything I could get my hands on. I grew up hunting deer, duck, squirrel, and geese in Tennessee. After moving to Texas 20 years ago and a 10 year hiatus from the woods (young children and grad school and not knowing anyone with land... Texas problems), I started back on deer and added turkey, but I've always dreamed of hunting elk since my dad told me of two adventures he had doing it. So two years ago I told myself it was "time" and "enough with the 'one days.'" So I began to buy equipment for a DIY backpack hunt bit by bit. Last year I signed up for ELK 101. Yet, I've never laid eyes on the animal!

A few weeks back I was reading Bugle and they spotlighted the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma. It was a mere three hours away so I threw stuff in my pack and headed up with one goal: see an elk. I hiked 8 miles the first day and spied bison, deer, prairie dogs, and turkey... but no elk. I was disappointed, it was nothing like I hoped. Folks were all over the popular mountain trails and then my "training" kicked in... elk aren't too fond of people. I made a plan to hike the longest trails that folks were avoiding because parts had been flooded and were really muddy.

I headed out early the next morning. Nobody was on the road. I reached the trail and hiked some of the most beautiful country I've seen. I was a couple of miles back, not a human sign or sound around and as I neared a coulee, three cow elk crossed my path about 75 yards away. I was ecstatic! I couldn't get my phone up fast enough for a picture. They disappeared behind a hill and I flanked to try to get another view. They were gone as quickly as they had appeared. It didn't matter, I saw what I came to see.
So, there you go. My plan is to hunt this October in Colorado and if I see one, great, if not, that's ok too. If I get one, I'll have achieved a dream of a lifetime.

scotttgill said:
I'm such a newbie I've been planning on hunting elk for the first time this fall and I've never actually seen one! Two years ago I began this journey by reading and listening to everything I could get my hands on. I grew up hunting deer, duck, squirrel, and geese in Tennessee. After moving to Texas 20 years ago and a 10 year hiatus from the woods (young children and grad school and not knowing anyone with land... Texas problems), I started back on deer and added turkey, but I've always dreamed of hunting elk since my dad told me of two adventures he had doing it. So two years ago I told myself it was "time" and "enough with the 'one days.'" So I began to buy equipment for a DIY backpack hunt bit by bit. Last year I signed up for ELK 101. Yet, I've never laid eyes on the animal!

A few weeks back I was reading Bugle and they spotlighted the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma. It was a mere three hours away so I threw stuff in my pack and headed up with one goal: see an elk. I hiked 8 miles the first day and spied bison, deer, prairie dogs, and turkey... but no elk. I was disappointed, it was nothing like I hoped. Folks were all over the popular mountain trails and then my "training" kicked in... elk aren't too fond of people. I made a plan to hike the longest trails that folks were avoiding because parts had been flooded and were really muddy.

I headed out early the next morning. Nobody was on the road. I reached the trail and hiked some of the most beautiful country I've seen. I was a couple of miles back, not a human sign or sound around and as I neared a coulee, three cow elk crossed my path about 75 yards away. I was ecstatic! I couldn't get my phone up fast enough for a picture. They disappeared behind a hill and I flanked to try to get another view. They were gone as quickly as they had appeared. It didn't matter, I saw what I came to see.
So, there you go. My plan is to hunt this October in Colorado and if I see one, great, if not, that's ok too. If I get one, I'll have achieved a dream of a lifetime.

Sounds like a wonderful time!
I apply for Wichita mountain hunts every year and cannot wait until I'm lucky enough to draw. Sounds like you have a great opportunity to go out and interact with elk leading up to your hunt. That'll pay dividends in the field verse it being your first time seeing them in the field. I have a buddy who hikes out there all the with his camera... he comes back with the most amazing deer and elk pictures.

Glad you got to see some and have fun!

Awesome story! Finding the elk is more than half the battle, especially during rifle season. Sounds like a great learning experience.

Good luck this year. And I hope I see ya in the Wichita?s with an elk tag in all our pockets  :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back