F-5

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Well, time to hit F-5.

1. The area I wanted to go to (and Plan B) are off-limits due to fire. (For now -- that could change).

2. Word today from my buddy ... he won\'t be coming this year.

So ... this opens up some options on timing and on new country.

It\'s going to be improvisation from here until September.

Improvisation is something we all need to improve on but I\'m sure you will do it just fine... :upthumb: :upthumb:

Well, I think I have a plan.

My buddy is not going to be able to come out this year. (Maybe he\'ll come out for a little rifle hunting, and maybe he\'ll donate the tag to Wounded Warriors) ... but I got to thinking that that\'s no reason his son can\'t make the trip.

So, I called him and now his son, Tor (17), and I will be headed back to a wilderness camp and try to make that work. It\'ll be Tor\'s first elk trip, but he\'s far from being a new hunter. He\'s a natural outdoorsman, and it\'ll be fun to host him in camp.

Once again, I\'ll be using horses to get to camp, and so my \"Road Camp\", complete with coolers, chairs, and a UTV will have to wait for next year. I was SO looking forward to having a little more mobility and a lot more good food. But ... any elk hunting is fun, and I can camp like that all summer.

Sounds like a great plan John. Are you heading back to where you and Brad hunted last year then? How many days are you guys going to be back in the wilderness?

2 weeks earlier could make all the difference :)

[media]http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums/bb62/cnelk/2015%20Wyoming/DSCN0270_zpsjjiy9mjh.mp4[/media]

Thanks for bringing back THAT memory, Brad.

Yeah, though, I think being there earlier will make a difference. It\'s a summer range for sure.

I\'m a little nervous about being \"locked-in\" to a spot, so we\'ll likely have the option to bivy out of camp, either in the area or hike back to the truck and drive down lower. We can keep a fair amount of supplies in the vehicle for an \"Abandon Camp\" order.

Better to have it and not need it, as they say.

But I\'m really optimistic that it\'ll be good timing and I\'ll go in a week before to verify that and do some prep-work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back