Face Mask

WapitiKing

Jun 7, 2013
Who wears a face mask in the elk woods? Almost all of the older guys I grew up hunting with wear one religiously.  I try to but have been caught without it a bunch and have still killed bulls.  I think movement isthe big key but i just feel exposed without it.

Face paint and whatever beard i can muster for the season for me.  I need something to break up my white facial outline but don't like calling and hiding behind a mask.

Face paint and a neck gaitor if it is cold out. I agree that movementis a huge factor as well as the wind- many a close encounter wearing orange and smelling like a wall tent full of bacon smoke.

Always have it with me and on my neck. Sometimes I manage to get it up over my face, other times I let the beard do the work.

Truth be told I cant shoot my bow with a facemask, so paint it is, with a beard and a
camo bandana or neck gaiter.

to each their own but for me no paint or mask, Been doing it for over 35 years and have had allot of elk within 20 yards and several with in 10 feet and im with you on this one Wapitiking I think its the movement, I have done the stare contest with many elk and they never pick me out until I move.Most times I do not wear camo either I prefer one solid color medium to dark. dosent matter if it green ,brown, orange , or yellow , I think it makes me look like a tree stump, or what ever but it works. Is hard to find good hunting cloths thats not camo though.

Oh man I love my face mask.  I wear it around my neck and it keeps my temp right on cool mornings.  It's a sign for me that I'm going into serious predator mode when the mask goes on. 

I agree with the other guys on the thread though that it probably is more for me than the elk.  Their eyes are definitely tuned into motion.  As long as movements are slow and smooth you're probably good.

The only time I consider wearing a mask is for heat if its cold. I am a huge believer in keeping my bow in front of my face. I leave the quiver on the bow at all times for this very reason. Keep the bow turned slightly for more coverage if you like and look between the arrows or through an opening between the stings and the limbs. It's been working for me for 16+ years. Good Luck!!

I'm ugly enough, don't need no mask.  In my experience {29 years archery}, I have gone with and without and have not found either way to be anymore better than the next.  I now only use a mask on those cold mornings before the sun rises to keep the face from going numb.

I am positive on white tails the face will give you away. Not so certain about elk, but it makes me feel better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back