False Advertising - Question

Don K

Mar 31, 2014
Last year in June 2014 I was sitting here on the laptop searching around various websites. I found a add in the classified section on Monster Muleys that was advertising landowner tags in NM and the add said they had other hunts listed. I thought what the heck lets see what this site has listed even know I probably wont be able to afford it. So I go to their website and start searching around and my jaw hit the ground. Here was a advertised hunt for Unit 51 in Mew Mexico and inside the add for the hunt was a picture of my son and his buddy. Yep what are the chances of me coming across this add with my SON in the photos. The picture was of my son with his friends bull that his friend shot in Unit 17 when the two of them hunted together about 8 years ago during a youth hunt. I immediately contacted Monster Muleys and also the broker that had the website with this picture. Monster Muleys removed the add immediately and I send numerous emails and made phone calls to the broker. I was told that his landowner gave him those pictures and hes not sure where he got them but would take care of it. After a few months of sending emails, leaving messages on his phone, and his Facebook page he never would talk to me again but the link was finally disabled.

So fast forward to today and the link is back up and running and my son and his buddy are still on the add for a Unit 51 ranch hunt. We never even set foot on this ranch and his buddy shot this bull on public land in unit 17.

I send messages again, called again, and same as before have not talked to this guy. He lives in Longmont Colorado and I am really tempted to stop by and visit him when I am out in Loveland. I am pissed this guy is advertising a hunt with my son and his buddy and there\'s no telling if the other pictures on there are from that place either.

So, if you where in my shoes what would you do?

I have to ask, was your pictures posted on a public forum or in any type of contest?
I am not a lawyer and probably don\'t have the right answer, but have seen stuff like this happen before.

They either extracted the picture from a public forum to use or the pictures were entered into a photo contest.
Part of the rules for the contest were any photos added to the contest could be used to their liking.

HERE IS WHAT I WOULD DO.

\"Hey, you are using my photos to advertise for NM unit 51. I demand that you give me a unit 51 voucher as compensation so Iccyman001 can take me to his spot and I can shoot an elk!\"

LOL, you already killed your share of NM elk this year!!!!

The photo was never entered into any contest. It was posted on the web and I understand that its out there for everyone to see. But to grab a picture and use it for something that it is not is wrong. I just don\'t want people looking at this brochure thinking this or these bulls where killed on that unit on that ranch.

This would be like advertising your \"Chevy\" pickup online and when they came to pick it up it was a \"Ford\" :D

Or better yet a picture of you and your bull in his brochure advertising a hunt that you never set foot on.

\"Don K\" said:
LOL, you already killed your share of NM elk this year!!!!

The photo was never entered into any contest. It was posted on the web and I understand that its out there for everyone to see. But to grab a picture and use it for something that it is not is wrong. I just don\'t want people looking at this brochure thinking this or these bulls where killed on that unit on that ranch.

This would be like advertising your \"Chevy\" pickup online and when they came to pick it up it was a \"Ford\" :D

I understand completely!
I would be livid if I were you too.

Get in touch with him, tell him to give you a tag, and I\'ll meet you out in 51 with my Chevy and drive you to an awesome spot to hunt. :upthumb:

Please keep us in the loop and let us know what he says.
Do you have a link to this? I am on MM right now trying to find this.

Dang your offering to guide me !!!!

The add is not on Monster Muleys and hasnt been since last year. I went to the brokers website and its there.
I am off my computer for the night and using my phone right now. I will send you a link in the morning and
Keep you updated.

Thanks

To save the ad, go to the web page, do a Ctrl-Alt-Prnt Scrn (hold down all 3 keys at same time). Open a word doc or MS Paint, Ctrl-V to paste the ad in the doc. Also save your email messages as documentation of your past communication with him.

Options are: Small claims court for fraud, file a complain with the CO Secretary Of state (<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.sos.state.co.us/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.sos.state.co.us/</a><!-- m -->) or calling CPW to ask their opinion. The complaint likely needs to be filed in the state where the person resides who is making the false advertisement.

Since it is hunting related, calling the CPW to ask their opinion may get you to a live person to get more information on next steps. Make it clear that the person making the false statement resides on CO. However, CPW may have information on pursuing issues with outfitters in NM.

Thanks for the advice.

Pretty easy to save the add as they have it in a PDF file so it gets downloaded right to my computer. I grabbed a copy last year and have done so this year. Going to look it over real good to see if anything has been changed.

Well we have contact!!!

Apparently this broker claims that he received the pictures from the owner of the ranch and even thought it was the ranch owners kids. (so he claims)

He assures me this will be removed soon.

Will keep you posted :cool:

Don, sorry to hear the issue isn\'t being taken care of. Have you tried reaching out to the CPW yet?

Thanks,

I have not reached out to them as of yet. I will do that here this week if I hear nothing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back