Fanny Packs

Anonymous

Mar 2, 2014
Does anyone use a fanny pack for elk hunting? I\'ve used one I bought at the CO sheep/goat seminar back in 2005 by Wolfpack Systems for years now. It\'s a great pack but somewhat undersized. It has few other flaws too like the one tie down strap is too short. I can barely strap a rain jacket and sweatshirt to the pack. It also has water bottle holders, one on each side, but they too are a bit undersized.

I\'ve looked at the Tenzing packs at Sportsmans Warehouse but they seem a bit too complicated...more bells and whistles than I like. Anyone own or use one of these packs. Or any other fanny packs you would recommend?

Tramper,
I used to use a fanny pack and I am considering on getting one again for certain type of hunts.

Check out our new sponsor - Gannett Ridge - I see they have a fanny pack that is hydration acceptable
<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.gannettridge.com/product_p/571.htm\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.gannettridge.com/product_p/571.htm</a><!-- m -->

I use a fanny pack as well Jeff. Similar deal though, I have had it for quite a few years, so I couldn\'t recommend it as I am sure they no longer make it. I would say you know what to look for though: something with a good amount of space, water bottle holders on the sides, and good shoulder straps that allow you to attach things to it.

I am surprised there are not more of these out there. I have thought about moving to a full size backpack, but the idea of all of that heat being trapped on my back sounds terrible. Because of this, I don\'t know why more people don\'t choose the fanny pack method. Plus, it limits space so you can\'t pack too much unnecessary crap! :D

Mine is a Kelty Elk Horn pack...as I thought, no where to really be found anymore. Here is a pic:

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->th.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

My only complaint with the pack is one of the water bottle holders ripped a few years back. If you can somehow find one of these or something similar, that would be my recommendation.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 523
I hate getting overheated with a full pack -- so I take a fanny pack. Mine is a Cabela\'s model with shoulder straps and it works well.

I think Cnelk has a photo of me using it to take out a front quarter of an elk this year, but it\'s not built for heavy hauling. Once you wear a fanny pack, you\'ve decided that your first trip out will only include a small amount of meat.

That said, most of the time my pack out includes no meat at all!

I think if I were to do it again, I\'d look at the Tenzing or there is one from Eberlestock that looks good, too.

Here is the pic Deertick mentioned

DSC00382_zps477a4ae0.jpg

The main reason I use a fanny pack is the sweaty back problem. Can\'t stand it. And also, it does limit the amount of crap you carry. That\'s why if I do buy one, it won\'t be much bigger than the one I have. The Tenzing 934 is about as big as I\'d go. Will take a look at the Garnett Ridge. The pack I have now weighs about one pound andI love that.

I have a slightly older model of the cabela\'s transporter fanny pack. I love it. Big enough to carry everything that I need for a day hunt. It also has several straps and an outside flap with straps that I can attached a coat/sweatshirt and my heads up decoy to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back