Fat bike or full suspension mtn bike ?

wolfkiller

Apr 25, 2014
Looking at getting a new bike for elk hunting, should I go with a fat bike or just get a full suspension mtn bike. Will also be pulling the bob ibex trailer to haul gear/elk. Thanks for any tips or info.

I work at a bike shop. We've been selling a lot of fat bikes to hunters. Most fat bikes have a ton of braze ons to attach any rack you can think of to them. I'd say go fat bike for sure.

I would say fat bike if I had to pick between the two.  I've played with full suspension and hard tail, bob trailers, rear axle side mount trailers, and seat post mount trailers trying to find the best elk hunting combo.

I didn't like the weight limitations and performance of the bob with a heavy load, didn't like the tendency for the rear axle trailer to want to roll with a heavy load going downhill, and didn't like how much the full suspension would squat and how much more it weighed over my hard tail.

So my current setup is a nice lightweight hard tail and a custom built trailer I made that weights about 10 lbs and I've hauled up to 230 lbs in it.  I built a custom shock absorbing trailer hitch as well that attaches just below the seat post.  My garage is full of old failed attempts at hitches and trailers, but I think I have the best solution now.

I would have to say fat bike too.  I have never hunted off a MTB, but have all 3 (full rigid carbon hard tail, full squish, and a fatty).  If I had the opportunity to hunt off a bike, I would take my fatty.  I have the other bikes set up for XC racing, so I would be a little worried about their durability pulling a trailer in the back country.  You will take on a little more weight with the fat bike, but I think overall it would be more durable. 

im now considering one lol! i had never heard of one till this post but after some research yesterday it seems to be the ticket

Wolfkiller, where are you hunting and what is the weather like during your season? If you hunt the late season than the fat bike is the sure bet. I got a chance to ride one on dirt and sand loaded down pretty heavily. The control afforded by the big, low pressure tires is fantastic for heavy hauling. As wapiti will said, the full suspension bike would have way too much bob, and the pivoting of the suspension may affect how the trailer rides too. Interested to see which direction you choose!

Well I bought the Specialized Fat Boy, tire pump,spare tube, wrench set,water bottle and fenders she come to 2500 bucks Canadian. Just need to get a trailer setup now.

Attachments

• fatboy.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 6
Fat bike eh? I'm more of a road biker than MTB but had been thinking of a hard tail bike for accessing locations a little faster than with my two horses (left one and right one :)).

For those of you that hunt with a MTB, I've got a couple of questions:

1. What's the average approach distance you ride to get to where you start hiking/hunting?

2. Do you ever make decisions on where to follow game based on the fact that you don't want to get too far away from your bike location?

3. How have you managed getting all sweaty and nappy just prior to starting your hunt by biking into a location?

Seriously interested in hearing what those with experience have to say.  Thanks!

ktowncamo said:
Fat bike eh? I'm more of a road biker than MTB but had been thinking of a hard tail bike for accessing locations a little faster than with my two horses (left one and right one.

For those of you that hunt with a MTB, I've got a couple of questions:

1. What's the average approach distance you ride to get to where you start hiking/hunting?

2. Do you ever make decisions on where to follow game based on the fact that you don't want to get too far away from your bike location?

3. How have you managed getting all sweaty and nappy just prior to starting your hunt by biking into a location?

Seriously interested in hearing what those with experience have to say.  Thanks!

ditto im interested this would be a great new thread

Hey guys, I know this post is older but was at my local bike shop today and happened upon one of these guys.  Check out this website....http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/

The bikes are geared specifically for hunting and fishing, only come in camo or snow camo, and are made by the same company as Surly and Salsa (both really good companies).  Sounds like they are on sale now too!  The model at my local bike shop had racks on both sides of the front fork, a frame bag, rear rack, and gun/bow mount.  I think total price was $2375, not bad in my book.  Also worth google searching to see how people set them up. 

Big Country said:
Hey guys, I know this post is older but was at my local bike shop today and happened upon one of these guys.  Check out this website....http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/

The bikes are geared specifically for hunting and fishing, only come in camo or snow camo, and are made by the same company as Surly and Salsa (both really good companies).  Sounds like they are on sale now too!  The model at my local bike shop had racks on both sides of the front fork, a frame bag, rear rack, and gun/bow mount.  I think total price was $2375, not bad in my book.  Also worth google searching to see how people set them up.

lol your budget and mine are way different im closer to 200, 350

Still cheaper than a mule and you don't have to feed it all year!  HAHA!  By reasonably priced, I mean compared to other fat bikes.  $2000 for a bicycle isn't cheap in my book either but for you what you get, not to shabby.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back