Favorite 2 Weeks to Archery Elk Hunt

huntography

Dec 29, 2012
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->image.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

What are your favorite 2 weeks to archery elk hunt and why?

After being in elk country each week last year here in Colorado, I think I prefer either the first 2 weeks or week 2 and 3.

Seems like the elk were more active earlier last year than the year before. Also, the colder temps and snow in week 4 made me appreciate the early season that much more :)

Rudy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 472
I\'ll agree with you Rudy, I like the first 2 weeks better too.
But that may vary from area to area.
The 2nd part of week 3 is good but the fourth week is too weather dependent

I prefer the first and the last week of archery season. The first week is warn and dry, so the elk are coming to water and wallow the most then. They have not been disturbed much yet, so they are going about their natural routine. During the last week of archery season the rut is on and they are moving more, and are likely to come to water or just down the trail.

Idaho\'s OTC archery season is August 30th to sept 30th in most areas. In my zone the first two weeks are noticeably better then the last. Rut usually peaks around the 16th and I really like being around the elk leading up to that. After the peak it dies off pretty quick and the elk are in hideyhole mode for the most part. Knowing the hideyholes is important if we\'re not successful in those first two weeks. We stop cold calling and search out the elk by still hunting.

i only heard very little bugling last year, prob 10 total bugles. but i go out to hear that, so i prefer weeks 2-3, even with the ml guys.

I agree with Scott. Would love to have that 3rd week without the black powder guys, but they have just as much right to be there as us bow hunters. I live to call elk, & the first week is just too quiet. We have had terrific calling the last week, but have also seen it just as quiet as opening weekend. Middle of the month for me.

How about week two and week four? For some strange reason...the bulls seem to go silent on week 3! :mg: :mg: :mg: :lolno:

If you can hit \"that day\" when the big bulls start breaking up, that\'s the day! It tends to happen before the 15th. We\'ve killed two bulls over 300 (otc) in the past 4 years, one on Labor day and one on the 13th. I like the first two weeks for catching a BIG bulls transitioning from solo to herd bull. This, IMO, is the most vulnerable time for the big boys. For any elk, I\'d prefer the last 2 weeks as satellites can become very easy to call in.

Does it really matter? During late August thru early October, there are many transitions going on in an elks life. If you are any kind of an elk hunter at all, I shouldn\'t have to go into detail about that other to say many hormonal changes are constantly happening during that period.

The trick is for the hunter to adapt to these changes. Some guys like to hunt early because they have that time frame and hunting style figured out. Others like the middle of the season for the same reason. And this is also true for those that prefer the last two weeks.

But in order to be a well rounded elk hunter, you need to be out there every chance you possibly can and learn how to adapt to each phase of the season. Sorry! I know this doesn\'t help you guys that have to travel long distances to enjoy and increase your chance at an elk.

Instead of asking everyone for their favorite two weeks to hunt, maybe it would be better to pick the two weeks you would like to hunt and ask what is going on in an elks world during that particular time frame and what tactics might be suggested for that period.

I am going to blame WW for hijacking this thread, but you bring up a good point. Where I used to hunt it made no difference, in my hunting success which week I hunted, but I preferred the first week of the season because I like the warm weather. Now, where I hunt the elk get pushed off onto private land within a week, and stay there until about the last week when some wander back onto the Forest.

First 2 weeks because I have been able to call them in and find them. After that, they are herded up in hard to reach places for my unit. To WW\'s point, I acknowledge that I currently lack the skill to hunt them in their herd locations the last 2 weeks of the season. A good spike camp location would likely help me. I may try it this season.

I also like ML opening day (3rd Saturday) because I found locations where the elk are driven by the MLers.

As a novice elk bow hunter, the first 2 weeks appear to be easier to get your first close up elk encounters before hunting pressure changes their Summer travel patterns. It only took me 4 years to figure this out. :sad:

The elk sign I find during late summer scouting helps me locate them the first 2 weeks of the season. However, it has not helped me locate them for the last 2 weeks because the elk have ventured elsewhere.

I want to hunt Sept 5th in GMU 71 and Sept 8th in GMU 61 in CO. What will the elk be doing theses days? Please advise how can I kill a big 6 point bull on either of these days?

:)

Thanks for sharing all!

R

I never hunted Canada, eh :eh: but here in Colorado the 10th-24th is an excellent time frame. You would be looking at both pre-rut and full-rut phases of the hunt. :wave:

I think it would depend on where you are hunting. For me where I have mostly hunted the last five+ years, the later, the better. And this is archery here in CO. They seem to start bugling later where I hunt.

Speaking as a muzzleloader i\'d like to see the bow hunters not be able to hunt during muzzy season.

Do you really need more than 3 weeks to get an elk?

\"Still Hunter\" said:
Speaking as a muzzleloader i\'d like to see the bow hunters not be able to hunt during muzzy season.

Do you really need more than 3 weeks to get an elk?

I dont think very many spend the entire month bowhunting.
A week - 10 days is probably about average

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back