Favorite Elk Hunt

One of my favs to date was a late hunt with an older gentleman from Michigan. While not the biggest bull in the woods, he was genuinly excited killing his biggest bull yet after 6 days of hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTigi3y_v8[youtube][/youtube]

My favorite to date was maybe 10 years ago when I got a young 6 point to come to my cow call in the Frank Church Wilderness and I was able to take my first bull.  This was also the first time that I successfully used a diaphragm call and I was hooked on Sept elk hunting in the rut ever since.

This year was my favorite hunt. I have been archery hunting elk for only 3 years and I've had lots of blown chances and this year I was finally able to connect. I shot my first bull with a rifle when I was 14 with my best friends standing next to me and this year I shot my first bull with a bow with the same friend calling for me.

my second year hunting elk ,the year I shot my first bull was awsome.. I did'nt use calls at all my first year .. shot a nice cow.... my second year I was braver.. I used a reed call and had lots of elk come in.. I was hooked on calling after that.. here was my senerio I am chasing this small herd up the ridge and I come around the corner on a logging road and there is an elk about 70 yards away..mostly behind a big ceder tree.. I could'nt get any closer, so I backed around the corner got up on the hill a little bit and cow called.. could hear the bull trotting and mewing before I saw it and came to full draw.. that elk came around that sharp corner and stopped right in front of me broadside at 3 yard...I let it fly ...He went about 30 yards and dropped.. I remember being in shock at how quickly It all happened.. I was excited and happy and sad all at once that my hunt was over..

2012 would have to be my favorite by far. Getting to hunt such an animal and be able to anchor him down is a dream come true. And to make it even better it was a high hunter pressure general area, public land, DIY! Gonna be a hard hunt to beat for me!

My favorite hunt was last years eastern oregon archery hunt.  I ended up not filling my tag but I passed on a few small bulls for the first time ever.  I ended up seeing more elk in that hunt than I had in the past 10 years combined.  Had a blast with some great friends and in a new place.  What else could a guy ask for:)

Oh ya, a giant bull! 

My favorite is yet to come. My father and brother will be coming out here to do a little archery hunting here in WY here this September. This is the first time that neither my brother nor myself have not been deployed (no orders as of yet and hoping it stays that way). We are from MO and there is nothing like hunting with your dad. The big difference is this time around I am the Master (very loosely used terminology), my father will be the student and my brother will be the lucky one that tags out. 

My first backpack elk hunt with my dad. We were into elk from the first day, but never sealed the deal. What a great experience though!

This past elk season was my favorite hunt. I connected on my first animal with a bow. I called for myself and connected on a 300 class bull. It was as excited s I have ever been. 6 days or bugling bulls and to finish it with a great bull was just the kicker! Called him in on a string and run an arrow true at 32 yards. Memory I will never forget.

My favorite was when I met a hunter for the first time in a new area and he showed me around. I called in a bull for him (that he shot) that same day and he never forgot it.

This last season was my favorite. Made 3 more friends for life, filled all 4 tags, found a whole new area to hunt loaded with elk, in a beautiful area. We were in elk every day of our hunt.

So hard to choose!  The year my husband and I each took an elk from the same herd  mere seconds apart, unbeknownst to each other was pretty darned amazing.  And this year, taking my first bull ever-in Idaho, on a 7 day DIY OTC on foot backpacking hunt...I  get butterflies thinking about it!  I loves me some good bowhunting!

Probably five years ago hen I got to watch my father his first elk after 10 unsuccessful years prior to that.  One of the best moments of my life besides when my son was born.

My favorite elk hunt has to be my elk hunt 2 years ago. I had just started elk hunting solo and was sitting down in the bottom of a canyon where 3 draws came together and there was a little creek. I knew the elk went down there to water before moving to their feeding grounds in the evening. I happened to chose the wrong spot to be at the wrong time and instead of getting a shot at any of them, I just got to watch them as they watered. As I was sitting there, these 2 calves went to the creek and started jumping around and twisting and running. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen, it took everything in me to not just sit there and laugh. All the elk were watching them like what the heck are you doing?! Even though I didn't get a shot while I was down there, it was my favorite thing I have ever seen.

Called in a 2x3 to two yards with just a bush between us.  He bugled and raked his antlers.  I tried to draw as he turned, but a stick caught my bottom wheel.  A cow was watching and barked, and everything exploded out.  Didn't get him, but still my favorite.

when those cows bark and you aren't expecting it...it definitely gets your attention...especially if you're in the dark timber!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back