Favorite type of Black powder?

beran_10

Jan 17, 2013
Just curious what everyone's favorite black powder is? I'm asking about the actual powder, not the pellets. I was fortunate to draw a muzzleloader elk tag for colorado this fall and I am not used to shooting powder. Here in Wisconsin we are allowed to use powder pellets so I do not have any experience with powder. Any experience, good or bad, would be appreciated. Thanks

I have used traditional type Goex for years and like it, but I used it in traditional flintlocks and percussion rifles. Last year I was picked for a muzzle loader tag and wanted the best chance I could have. I purchased an in-line rifle and shot Blackhorn 209 powder. It is not suppose to draw moisture like traditional powders. I also purchased a screw in breech plug designed just for shooting the BH 209. I was very pleased with the powder and will continue to use it in my in-line rifles.

BH209 is all I use now. Works great in my TC Omega Z5. I shoot 250 Barnes TEZ sabots and can get 3-4" groups @ 200 yrds. Very clean burning. No swabbing between shots. I just clean it after fall hunting for the season.
Check with the state where you will be hunting to see what they allow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back