finding elk

hooter44

May 20, 2013
hello I am new to the forum and to elk hunting its always been something that I have wanted to do and never really pulled the trigger on. Well this year I  have decided to give it and  I have narrowed the areas that I want to hunt down to two the problem I am having is scouting I live in Texas and Colorado is where I am planning on hunting. I have looked at google earth till my eyes hurt and then some. We plan on a long weekend scouting trip the first weekend of August. suggestions on what to look for and a general ideal of what habitat that they may be in would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance to any and all advice in advance. 

there are a bunch of topics on here ranging from trail cameras, to how to scout.  I have supplied you with a link that has some information that may help you in answering some questions. 

http://elk101.com/forums/index.php/topic,365.msg6736.html#msg6736

If you have never hunted elk before i suggest purchasing the University of Elk hunting DVD.  IT hasa lot of information to help you out in your first year elk hunting.  Even for people have been elk hunting for years will still find some helpful information.  Since you are new to elk hunting im sure the DVD would help you greatly.

http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-University-of-Elk-Hunting-DVD/Categories

Best advice I can give you is to be flexible. Get in shape, don't be afraid to call the local game managers. They may give you a little help. Like bull hunter said...watch the university of elk hunting DVD and give yourself every advantage you can get. Scouting should give you a great perspective. Good luck.

dont be afraid to spend some money on the preseason stuff,so many people think only about the hunt itself and dont prepare.A good start and a small investment is the u of elk hunting dvd as was said.and dont forget to prep for the work after the elk in on the ground, if your use to deer the size of an elk will scare the crap out of you 4 or 5 miles in.

just watched the university of elk hunting for the second time got it in the mail yesterday and I will have to say he did a really good job and I feel like I am a little closer to being ready the only bad thing about the video is now I am really fired up three months till season and my wife is so tired of hearing about it. also thanks for all the information that you guys give me very helpfull

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back