Finding hunting dudes to elk hunt

Stapleton87

Dec 2, 2020
Without sounding like this is some weird dating post. How does a guy go about finding some like minded hunters willing to put in the work and go the miles to hunt elk.  Hitting a point where all my buddies are not willing to take time off work or put on the miles or the wife has them locked down to get after elk. Anyone run into this?

Here is a good place to look. Let everyone know a little about your hunting style, fitness level, general area you are planning to hunt, season, and maybe expectations of a partner.

It is hard to find a good partner that has the same drive with a positive attitude. I believe it could be as hard if not harder than finding a spouse. :lol:

Hahaha I mean I got buddies that I deer hunt with but don?t think they could or would pull off an elk hunt in Utah or Idaho. All I do is spot and stalk put on an average of 10 to 15 miles a day unless glassing. Mostly looking for archery dudes that are normal and Have been hunting more than a couple years.

I would suggest going to archery shooting events and archery clubs and talk about elk hunting. You are looking for someone that has a strong desire for the adventure.
My hunting partner and I worked at the same place and we heard that each other hunted deer. We eventually met and began deer and turkey hunting together. Over several years the elk hunting interest evolved for both of us. He got drawn for a Kentucky cow tag for archery and that sealed the deal. Colorado was our next choice and this past season was our 12th year going out. We have had some amazing and some terrible hunts.
We have had a couple other people go over the years and "many" more that said they "dream" of elk hunting in the Rocky Mountains. When the time to make the decision to go those dreamers had excuses and reasons not to go. It is a small percentage that will have the true desire and will do it and have the family support and money.
There is also the factor of knowing someone and how they will act or react to going that far and for that long. I also compare an archery elk hunt to going to "boot camp". It can/will push you to your limit both physically and mentally. All that will usually surface in 4-5 days telling who you are and who you are hunting with. As good of friends as my hunting partner and I are, we have come close to fighting and have exchanged words that we later regretted. This is due to fatigue and a complete change of normal daily life. Perhaps some do not experience this but I have witnessed several times.
I say all this to say that picking an elk hunting partner is like finding a spouse and should not be taken lightly. I would suggest finding someone to hunt with and taking a couple weekend hunting trips and getting to know them well. Once you are thousands of miles from home and everyone is miserable it will destroy a great hunting adventure. I know a man that has taken two different guys elk hunting and within a couple days they both wanted to go home. He cut his trip short for one of them because the guy whined terribly and was miserable. He was in short "home sick" and did not realize what he was getting into.
Good elk hunting partners are hard to find, choose carefully and you will have the greatest hunting experience of your life and someone to share the adventures until death do you part.

What?s up mule. I feel as though I?m in the same boat. I cannot find any to commit to an elk hunt when it actually comes time to head west. I?ve got one trip under my belt last year but have been building points in Wyoming and realize the need to hunt elk every year and not just wait for a ? trophy? tag.

I am pretty much an archery hunter
Do you have any hunts planned this year?

How about those hunting partners that don't contribute much but just want to get in on the trophy photo opp?

Attachments

• elk2020.jpg
    elk2020.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 21
I am an experienced archery elk hunter who does everything DIY in the backcountry. I plan on hunting September 13th - September 18th near Fraser, CO. I will provide most of the equipment and an amazing experience. There is so much land to cover and I have been hunting alone for the past 5 years. This is a super tough hunt at 10,000 ft and requires you to be prepared physically. It would be great to make a new connection. Let's talk. The tag is about $700 for an out of state, over the counter, either sex archery tag. Todd

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back