First elk hunt in 2019

dabram42

Jun 19, 2018
I'm planning a business trip to the Provo, Utah area in the fall of 2019. I've grown up deer hunting from a tree stand in MN and I've always wanted to try elk hunt. Since I have no idea how to start the process of planning a hunt, is it best to work with an outfitter or guide? Seems like a bad idea for me to just try to learn on the fly. I'm not looking for a wall hanging trophy, just looking to experience a new style of hunting and bring home a bunch of venison.
(Provo also seems to be only a few hours drive away from several other states, so if another area is a better option, please let me know). Thanks!

dabram42, welcome to the site!  :welcome:

I would say that since you are looking at 2019, you have plenty of time to do the research and plan a hunt on your own without the help of a guide or outfitter. However, I'll also say that if you are hoping to come back with a bunch of meat for the freezer, your chances of doing so on your first hunt will go up exponentially if you were to hire a guide or outfitter.

As far as Utah goes, I'm not really familiar with how tags are allotted there. But if you are close to Colorado, you can easily get an over-the-counter tag and go hunt in a number of areas.

Welcome to the site, dabram42!
Personally I think you have a lot of options so I'll try to keep it minimal and let you look more into it.

First thing I'd recommend doing it DIY. You have lots of time to learn and ask questions. It's fun to research and prep. Going with a guide isn't a sure way to learn how to elk hunt.

Next know you always have the OTC option. If you don't draw something you can hunt Idaho or Colorado any year over the counter. You also have Montana general units. They aren't a sure thing, but they have a good draw rate.

Then you have point states.... some states only require a few points for a good hunt where others may require more. Quick tip... considering the fact you are going in 2019. I'd consider getting a Wyoming preference point here this year. They sell them July though end of September. Wyoming is a great state to draw with very few points. They have some killer general areas that you can draw.

Then you also have states with no point systems and you can apply and have the same chance as every other non resident. That's New Mexico and Idaho.

What I always tell people is to plan an OTC hunt, but apply for NM and ID first. If you happen to draw one of those sweet tags then you hunt that. If not you just hunt the OTC plan that you already put together.

This is a lot of info, but my personal recommendation is to listen to Randy Newburg podcasts and youtube videos. He breaks down each state, how they do their draws, and more. It's GREAT for planning.

DTP said:
Welcome to the site, dabram42!
Personally I think you have a lot of options so I'll try to keep it minimal and let you look more into it.

First thing I'd recommend doing it DIY. You have lots of time to learn and ask questions. It's fun to research and prep. Going with a guide isn't a sure way to learn how to elk hunt.

Next know you always have the OTC option. If you don't draw something you can hunt Idaho or Colorado any year over the counter. You also have Montana general units. They aren't a sure thing, but they have a good draw rate.

Then you have point states.... some states only require a few points for a good hunt where others may require more. Quick tip... considering the fact you are going in 2019. I'd consider getting a Wyoming preference point here this year. They sell them July though end of September. Wyoming is a great state to draw with very few points. They have some killer general areas that you can draw.

Then you also have states with no point systems and you can apply and have the same chance as every other non resident. That's New Mexico and Idaho.

What I always tell people is to plan an OTC hunt, but apply for NM and ID first. If you happen to draw one of those sweet tags then you hunt that. If not you just hunt the OTC plan that you already put together.

This is a lot of info, but my personal recommendation is to listen to Randy Newburg podcasts and youtube videos. He breaks down each state, how they do their draws, and more. It's GREAT for planning.

What he said  :-D :-D

I am completely new to hunting Elk myself. I just got my first deer last year and hoping to get on some elk with a OTC tag here in Utah. I'm like you. Not sure what exactly to do or how to find them but I'd be willing to hunt with you next year.  Considering I dont have a hunting buddy and live near Provo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back