First ever elk hunt ends with a goose egg!

Novemberfest

Jan 14, 2019
A couple dudes from IL gave it the oldcollege try in Western WY. It was our first ever elk hunt/trip. Had a blast but came home empty handed. Gotta thank the forum for all the posters and those willing to answer questions.  We heard elk, we saw elk and we had a few close encounters with elk but we never slung an arrow. Overall it was tougher than expected. Physically I was prepared and handled the hunt fine. It took a couple of days to jump over a few mental hurdles and realize we could get off trail and handle that steep ass terrain.  The elk and the calling was the tough part. We were general tag, public land and the elk pretty much gathered their small harems and ran away as soon as they heard a cow call or bugle. It?s believed that they were call shy but I think the bulls were all satisfied with small harems. There were no satellites looking for strange on the side. There were at least 4 hunting parties in the basin we were hunting which was about 10 sq miles in area and we only actually ran into 1 group while hunting. There was no sign and no talk of anyone filling a tag during the week we were there (last week of September).  Either way it was a blast and I?m hooked thanks to my man crush Cory Jacobsen and all the others that help ?teach? elk hunting.Hopefully I?ll be back in Wyoming in 3years on the general tag.  But I?m already looking at Colorado and Montana since I have 0 points anywhere.  Until then I guess I?ll be a 90 percenter I?ll be creeping around here until then trying to get the edge.
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Attachments

• 078BEFD6-0555-4B42-8CD8-87BD0C3B82B6.jpeg
    078BEFD6-0555-4B42-8CD8-87BD0C3B82B6.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 17
Great picture and congrats on a successful hunt. You found elk, that's step one  :upthumb:

Nice work on your hunt in Wyoming. You saw and heard elk. Experienced first hand the rigors of elk hunting. Idaho does have quite a few OTC tags.
Their website has a lot of information on each unit. Idaho is a non-preference point state. Good fortune on your future elk hunts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back