First Lite

Don K

Mar 31, 2014
Any First lite users here?  I just started buying their stuff the last couple years and have 4 pieces I picked up when they where on a deep sale. I really like their stuff, and found this interesting.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1512516892f41ths36xqu

First Lite Restructures Distribution Model
Ketchum, ID- First Lite, a brand synonymous with premium gear, design innovation, and active conservation announced its shift towards a direct-to-consumer sales model. Beginning with the 2018 season, First Lite products will be available exclusively at firstlite.com and select third party marketplaces including Amazon.com and others.

"After careful consideration, thorough analysis and a great deal of discussion we've decided to restructure our distribution model to position the company to best serve our customers and distribute our premium product where and how they--the end customer--want," said Kenton Carruth, First Lite Co-CEO. "This move will allow First Lite to continue to innovate new technologies and support our conservation efforts while also directly serving the customer exactly how they want to be served. Ultimately, we are letting our customers dictate the direction of the brand instead of the other way around."

"We understand that this will impact many long-standing partners and we are committed to taking the appropriate steps to help ease the transition for our current dealers," explains Carruth. "We could not be more thankful and appreciative to the retail partners who have supported and believed in us over the past ten years."

Established in 2007, First Lite has grown a direct relationship with consumers since its inception and has seen its business move organically in that direction more and more every year. As the company completes this transition, First Lite will work directly with effected partners on tailor made business solutions, while continuing to focus on its value equation for consumers; the best gear on the market at the best possible price, unparalleled customer service and an industry leading warranty.

For more information please contact info@firstlite.com

Interesting. I know personally, I?d much rather have items in a store so I can try them on. It?s a reason I decided to try some Sitka gear this year instead of some of the other high tech brands that are out there - I was able to try their gear on first. I hate buying stuff and having to return it when it doesn?t fit.

I'm good with it... sounds like some of the 3rd party online distributors (like amazon) will still be selling it. Free return shipping, 2-day shipping w/ prime, if something doesn't fit... it won't be the end of the world to send it back. I mostly only use FL for base layers.

On a broader scale I only see this becoming more of a trend in the retail world, not just hunting. Kuiu, RTIC, Kifaru, Exo, Mystery Ranch (to some degree), etc... all have recognized the benefit of building a quality product but keeping costs reasonable (relatively speaking). The internet has literally made it so we don't have to leave our homes. I have siblings that grocery shop, pay every bill, buy clothes, order services and work all without having to change out of their pajamas each day or even pick up a phone. The "Cabelas" type business model is expensive. When we were at the mercy of the retailers to tell us what we needed it worked, but with the consumer being able to research every facet of the product they intend to purchase, there's no more need for a retail associate.

love em or hate em, KUIU's business model may very well be the wave of the future.

backcountry_hunter said:
love em or hate em, KUIU's business model may very well be the wave of the future.

Completely agree that's the way of the future. I guess I'm old school in the fact that I still like to touch it and try it on before dropping $150+ on a piece of clothing. Outside of that, the only way to know how a piece of clothing might fit is to look at pictures of it and those can definitely be misleading.

I'm a "tweener" when it comes to clothing, sometimes needing a 36" waist, sometimes needing 38". I could wear a large in most shirt sizes, but I have very long arms and sometimes XL sleeves aren't long enough. It gets to the point where I tell family members not to buy me clothing for Christmas because I end up having to take half of it back. Maybe this is just a 'me' problem  :lol:

As an example though, I got some Sitka Mountain pants this year. I was debating between those and the Ascent pants. Ended up trying on 36 Long, 37 Long, and 38 Long in both pants. The 38 Long Mountain pant fit awesome and the same size Ascent pant was not comfortable at all. That would have been a lot of guess work to whittle it down to one size. I considered Kryptek and First Lite as well, but I was not able to try them on and because of that, Sitka got my business.

My thoughts is this will knock out the middle man allowing for better pricing to us. But my gut tells me prices will stay the same allowing just a bit more profit for them.

MIDWAY USA has got a pretty good sale going on with most of the First Lite stock they have.  Picked up a few shirts for around 50-60% off.

i'm all for it.  i cant stand going into a store.  if i do, my wife has to force me try it on.  i cant stand dressing rooms.

(well i like it once in a GAP dressing room when i was younger and.....nevermind)

i'll buy thru the mail, and send it back if it doesnt fit.

Don K said:
But my gut tells me prices will stay the same allowing just a bit more profit for them.

I fear that the issue is costs of producing high quality clothes is climbing and in order to stay (relatively) affordable for the common hunter this is a necessary move for companies like FL. I don't anticipate a major dip in prices, if any.... but as long as they don't climb (which has been the trend for a number of year) then the model is likely working.

I was wearing mostly kuiu when they were originally produced in Canada, and then switched to toray over in Japan. I still have most of my North American produced Kuiu as well as the stuff from overseas. I remember when the founder cut a larger contract with toray then the previous one which lowered overall costs per piece and the cut came right back to the customer in those items. I would expect a company like FL to do the same and being consumer-direct this will allow them to make those kinds of moves...... hopefully.

I love firstlite clothing. It's awesome and works incredibly well in the field.

Firstlite announced they are introducing 40 new products in early January. There will
probably be some sales coming soon on the gear that replaces.

Here's my question: The Corrugate Guide Pants are probably the most comfortable pants I have ever worn. They feel and move like sweatpants, but are durable, breathe, etc... My issue is they are $150+ a pair.  I got one pair on sale for about $100 in Pine and another for full price in Cipher. I Love them. I wish I could afford to buy many, many pairs. For those who know this pant well:

IS THERE ANY ALTERNATIVE TO THE CORRUGATE GUIDE PANT THAT IS MORE REASONABLY PRICED?

Thank you in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back