First Time Archery Hunting - Unit 28/37 (CO)

StronTower

Jun 11, 2019
Hi Everyone.

I have been Elk hunting (rifle) a few times in Colorado. However, they have all been with family and I have never had a successful season. Because of this I decided to start researching to figure things out. (turns out my family has been doing it wrong) I enrolled in the Elk101 course, have researched a ton, looked on google earth, checked out the colorado hunt atlas (for summer and winter concentrations) and have started to scout the area.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my specific unit. (28/37) The silverthorne/Kremmling/Grandby area. There are a few areas out towards Grandby that look great from google earth but when i look at the hunting atlas there is no summer concentration there and only small pockets of wintering area.

If you do not hunt this area but have any other tips/recommendations for me please feel free to add to the discussion.

Thanks for any help.

So an update on this.

I was able to contact the Biologist for the area and he was able to help confirm some of my thoughts on the area. I feel like I have a decent game plan and now it is time to just get boots on the ground.

If anyone does have helpful tips I would be grateful for any advice. in the mean time I will just be going through all the old threads and try to glean as much as possible from them.

Happy Hunting to everyone this year!!

Good choice to enroll in Elk101! I have a few rules that seem simple but hard to remember while you are hunting...

1. if there is no fresh sign keep moving. I?ve spent/wasted a lot of time slowly walking through areas that look and feel?elky? but there was no fresh sign.

2. If you look at a mountain side whether from the top looking down or the bottom looking up and think, ?boy, going down/up there would suck.? There?s a good chance you should go down/up there.

3. Your wind checker is your friend use it often, winds shift a lot. During archery season I?d argue it?s as important as your bow and a good pair of boots. Also, don?t be afraid to hike to get the right wind.

Again these are things I?m sure you may know already, and they often mean more work or a longer walk in the field. That?s why I always have to remind myself these things as a hunt.

Good luck! I too will be CO for archery season, no where near you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Behindthehunter said:
Good choice to enroll in Elk101! I have a few rules that seem simple but hard to remember while you are hunting...

1. if there is no fresh sign keep moving. I?ve spent/wasted a lot of time slowly walking through areas that look and feel?elky? but there was no fresh sign.

2. If you look at a mountain side whether from the top looking down or the bottom looking up and think, ?boy, going down/up there would suck.? There?s a good chance you should go down/up there.

3. Your wind checker is your friend use it often, winds shift a lot. During archery season I?d argue it?s as important as your bow and a good pair of boots. Also, don?t be afraid to hike to get the right wind.

Again these are things I?m sure you may know already, and they often mean more work or a longer walk in the field. That?s why I always have to remind myself these things as a hunt.

Good luck! I too will be CO for archery season, no where near you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good tips right there!  :upthumb:

Get maps of your area.

Then take a highlighter and mark up 1/2 mi on each side of every trail/2 track/road you see.

Do this all over the map.

What this will show when done is where 'pocket' elk will be. Some may be closer than you think!

I've hunting those units.  Mostly 37 during the later rifle seasons and occasionally during archery.  I've only hunted 28 during rifle and only once so probably not much help if that's where your focus is.  I might be hunting it this year as a friend drew the muzzy tag for that area so I might join him.  PM me if you have any more specific questions!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back