First time hunting elk in colorado, around durango, need help

K9Kodi

Aug 20, 2015
Ill be heading to Colorado in November for a rifle elk hunt.  Im from the east coast, VA to be exact. I do a lot of deer hunting here, but its mostly stand hunting.  I have a pair of cold weather boots, I wear Muck Boot Artic Rangers.  As I stated earlier, Ill be hunting outside of Durango, sleeping at 8k feet and hunting around 10k.  Do you guys find yourself not needing as much insulation in the boots because your doing more walking, or rather, what do you guys wear?  Would my much boots work?  Also, Im not sure what the typical weather for November in that area will be.  Is it most likely ill be hunting in snow?  Does it rain at that point or if there is any precipitation it will be snow?  IS there a preferred camo pattern?  Can someone give me an example of how they dress, what their layers are.  Its going to be much different from what Im used to, as I layer thick with insulated coveralls cause Im sitting in a tree stand for hours on end.  Also, what Kind of Packs are you guys using?  Ive got a London Bridge 3 day pack im thinking about using.

Much boots are not made for the mountains. You'll wish you saw them be the time the hunts over. Need something with a stiffer sole and ankle support. I wear Danner Pronghorns, uninsulated. I have several different socks that I use for insulation. I always carry an extra
Pair in the pack. Fresh socks are a great pick me up at mid day.

Yes, definitely don't use the Muck's. For November, you might experience sun and 60 degree temps or you could have snow and negative temps. Depending on how warm your feet run, I'd either go uninsulated or something in the mid range of insulation so the boots don't get too heavy.

An example of how I layer during the later time of year: I go with Under Armour cold gear bottoms and mock turtleneck. Then I typically just wear warmer pants on the bottom over those. On the top, if it's warm I might wear a tee shirt over the Under Armour, then I'll wear a warmer long sleeve 1/4 zip (Under Armour or Sitka) and then a jacket. I might also bring along a puffy vest of some sort, which gives you options if the weather gets warm.

As far as camo pattern goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. After all, you'll be wearing a bright orange hat and vest at a minimum!

Good advice. I would stick with uninsulated or around 400 grams of thinsulate. It all depends on how cold your feet run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone, I usually wear 400g tops if it?s cold out and I?ll be walking. As mentioned above, you can add warmth with socks. As for clothing, being a lot with you. You can always remove layers, but you can?t add more if you don?t have them.  I usually wear a base layer, an insulating layer, then a jacket. I carry another jacket or vest to put on if I get cold.  On bottom, I usually just go with a heavyweight base layer, pants(typically just jeans during rifle season) and a pair of gaiters if there is snow on the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back