First Timers Needing Advice in Colorado

briancomegys

Jan 6, 2017
We signed up and are working our way through the course and it has been so help full already.  We have it narrowed down to Colorado in 2018.  Lack of points and driving distance.  Right now we are trying to decide on which rifle season so any advice there would be great.  We are all DIY guys but for our first time out we are looking at doing a drop camp to help us out.  If anyone knows of an outfitter that does a good drop camp hunt that would be appreciated too.  So thats where we are:  Which rifle season and selecting a drop camp outfitter in Colorado.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Welcome to elk hunting!  As far as rifle seasons go in colorado rifle season 1 and 4 are through the draw or leftover tags only (meaning you need to apply for it at the end of march, or wait until June or July roll around and hope that there are some tags leftover).  These 2 season are also only 5 days long i believe. but get less pressure because of a draw tag

Rifle seasons 2 and 3 are generally over the counter, however not all units in the state offer over the counter tags for these seasons(im not sure of the exact number but i roughly think about half the state offers OTC tags) check the big game brochure, they have an easy to read map of what units are over the counter (you can find this online).  These 2 seasons last either 9 or 10 days

Season 1 is generally warmer and the elk generally higher up

Season 4 is generally colder with elk beginning their migrations to lower elevation

Seasons 2 and 3 are somewhere in between.

With that said the end of 3rd rifle season this past year it was still mid to upper 50s during the day so really just depends on what the weather is doing for that time of year.

I would take into account your level of physical fitness, time frame that you can hunt, gear you have for cold weather, and transportation, then make the best decision.

Thank you so much for the advice!!!  I am leaning towards 1 rifle and getting preference point this year. I talked with a drop camp outfitter and was surprised to learn that he only runs 1 1st rifle season camp because he is so busy with 2nd and 3rd. So in your opinion 1st season might be best?  Pressure still low and less hunter because of draw. Or am I missing something about season 2 and 3?  Tossing out weather because we really can't control.

I defiantly know I need to get into shape but this is a bucket list item for me so I will get it done. My worry is I won't be able to go again so I want to do everything possible to have a great experience.

As far as gear goes. I want to upgrade my scope to 6-24x50 mil dot vortex and I need a good pack regardless. I would love an exo pack but again big ticket items. That's kind of why I am leaning towards the drop camp as I don't have any true backpacking gear. I have been whitetail hunting for years and have quality clothing but the backpack camping gear I basiclly have nothing.

I was thinking by doing that and getting my feet wet I could diy and then piece the backpacking gear together. Now I am wondering if I am better off going fully guided my first time and really learning?  I think now I now where and when just not how?

1st season will see less pressure, but the elk are usually up higher meaning more hiking and more work for you.  2nd and 3rd season are so busy because its so easy to get a tag.  Ive hunted 2nd or 3rd season for the 4 years ive been hunting elk.  Mostly because 2nd and 3rd season gives me 2 weekends to hunt (i drive up to the mts from the denver area) where 1st and 4th season give you 1 weekend, or none.  But weekends arent really an issue if you are coming out here for a week.

As far as gear goes i may not be able to help too much.  I have pieced together my hunting and backpacking gear from old things my dad used to use(20 year old backpacking backpack) and small warm layers from snowboarding cloths i already had.  And use a small 2 person tent i already had.  I will say small layers will be much better for carrying and for wearing.  I usually start mornings with several layers starting small and ending with a jacket of some sort.  And once im walking uphill just a little i start shedding layers to try and avoid sweating too much.  I also carry an extra underlayer shirt in case i sweat out the one i am wearing 

But i will say boots will make a difference, make sure you have a good pair before coming out here, and make sure they are already broken in. 

Sure is a lot of scope to pack up and down the mountains. At 24 power you'll be able to see every heartbeat and breathe you take. What rifle are you mounting it on? First piece on gear I'd look for is a great pair of boots. The boots you use to hunt deer will leave your feet in a mess after a day or two.

It is going on a Sako 300 Win Mag.  I agree with you on the boots and i have never been somebody that hikes for fun.  Dont get me wrong i have worn out my fair share of soles hunting, but this will be unlike anything i have ever done so i will take any suggestions.  I have a pretty fat foot so it can be hard to find a good fitting athletic shoe.  I think we are back to leaning towards drop camp or DIY. 

That to me is still a ton of scope but to each their own.... There are very few shots that exceed the capabilities of a 2-7 power scope and even fewer that would outgun a 3-9. Remember out of a decent quality 180gr load with a high BC from your 300 your only dropping 12ish inches at 350..... under 20" at 400. Pretty much going to be holding on the elk within a reasonable shootable distance. If your reload you can gun it hotter and flatter yet. I never understood guys packing around a hubble size space scope on a rifle when MOST shooters won't/don't go beyond 400 anyway. Almost all my rifle kills have been within 200yds. I understand being prepared for the situation but 95% of people I've seen, shot or hunted with can't ethically shoot beyond 400 in a real world hunting situation. Most of the one's that can rarely if ever do. I would save the cash and more importantly the weight and invest in great boots, a good pack or other gear.... my $.02. I cap my personal capabilities at 400, and often feel like a 3-9 is too much scope, 2-7 is plenty in almost all my situations. I've shot and practiced much further but have no desire to shoot beyond 400 and I have never needed to. Out to 400 I know exactly what my bullet will be doing at each 50yd increment regardless of enviromental factors.... getting out to 500,600, 700 and beyond alot of it starts becoming calculations and guessing which is fine for punching paper but not for me in a hunting scenario. Some guys can do it, but its not for me and I feel like I pay my dues at the range.

1st rifle boasts highest success rates of all CO's hunting seasons. One thing to consider is since this will be a "bucket list hunt" if you went 2nd rifle you could (in alot of units) double down and get deer tags but you can't for 1st. If you're driving all that way and extra 370$+ isn't a horrible idea. Going to have to draw but alot of units are 0 or 1 pts and you have this year to get both elk and deer pts.

I agree, but that is/was my reasoning for the scope was to be able to kill out that far if the need was there.  I dont want anyone to think i would take one un ethically i am kind of distance nut and enjoy the calculations and mil dots at long ranges.  Now that i am more considering the DIY and back packing in that will weight will probably change my tune.  However I still think that is one thing i would not want to skimp on.  The deer hunting is one thing my partner really wants to do.  If we get our preference point this year.  I had not looked to see if deer season overlapped with first rifle season yet. 

The 3 pieces i was looking at dropping the most money/importance on was scope, pack and boots.  I kind of have the scope and pack picked out but the boots i really have no idea.

personally I would go Boots, Pack and scope in that order..... The best scope I have found for what I do is a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X33... or if money isn't an issue a swaro z3 3-9X36.... Anything more than a 40mm objective is too cumbersome and heavy for what I do but everybody is different. There's nothing these scopes can't shoot for reasonable distances and it keeps my gun <7lbs. I keep the turrets, 50mm objectives and mil-dots for my tactical setups....

the first deer season overlaps with 2nd rifle, 1st you'd be elk only (possibly bear?).

Thanks for the advice.  That's pretty much my deer set up for MO.  I guess may be i am going a little overboard on the scope.  What would a good tent option be for backpacking in?  I think i am dead set on first rifle so we will have to be high up from everything i am seeing.

If you think you'll need a stove you're pretty much limited to seekoutside, kifaru, wyo lost and found, etc...

If you don't need a stove some of the light versions from big Agnes or hilleberg are hard to beat.

After years of doing this I've come to prefer floorless tipis but a big Agnes 2 man might be your best friend at 10k during 1st rifle

I've used Danner Pronghorns for a few years. Good fit and IMO a good boot for the money. Picked up a pair Kenatecs at a RMEF banquet. Insulated pair so I haven't used them yet. Call the Lathrop boys and talk with them. Good bunch of boys, known them for years.
I've got a 300 win mag and a 7 mag. The best scope I've found is a Leupold 4.5-14x40. I can see farther than I'd ever want to shoot.

I think i have it pinned down to hunting unit 12 next year.  Can anyone PM me with some advice on that area?  I have a couple spots picked out, but i am unsure of how the roads and access are that time of year.  I am thinking about going out this year during season to get an idea of how the pressure and things look and just backpack and camp for a few days.

Hey guys, looking for info.
  Does anyone have any advice on advantage hunting muzzleloader vs. early rifle in units 2, 10, 201. I have 25 elk pp, looking to put in next yr.
  I had 13 deer pp, put in for muzzleloader in 201 basically for elk scout hunt, just got refund ck in mail didnt draw. Does anyone have any experience there?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back