Fixed blade or folding knife

one 0f each till last year I switched to the havalon , and  there will be no going back, razor blade sharp knife all the time.

Oldman I've always had that concern in the back of my head, but have never had it happen.

I have two questions on the Havalon knives? How do they hold up in cleaning an elk? and what model would you use?

as long as you don't bend or twist the blade, they hold up great.  be really careful in the hip sockets.  you should be able to get the whole job done with 2-3 blades.  mine is a blaze orange Piranta.

I pack a folder and a havalon. I like having a second knife that you don't have to be so careful with to not break a blade.

usmcvet said:
Oldman I've always had that concern in the back of my head, but have never had it happen.

I used to use the Buck 110 folder. I never had a problem with it either. The thought was always there though.

Ever since I was a kid i've loved fixed blade knives. I almost always have one on my hip. I've never been one to trust bear spray. So, I carry a Buck 119 as backup against bears, and while bear hunting. I'm sure the bear will still kill me, but at least I can go down fighting.

Then I have a bunch of smaller Buck fixed blade knives for skinning, quartering, and boning.

I'm sort of hooked on Buck knives. Maybe not the best knives out there, but they get the job done for me, and have never let me down.

I have a Buck Alpha folding knife. It is good quality & heavy duty. I have a Cold Steel 6" fixed blade with a textured rubber handle. Nice knife just need to make sure it's cleaned right away or rust will start to form. I bought a Switch Blade from Outdoor Edge I have yet to use. Curious how the skinning blade performs.

Funny you should say that. I was curious about the Swingblade, and bought one too. I just want to try the so called zipper to see how it works.

I have a friend who talked about wanting one. I figured i'd test it, and then give it to him.

I'm an old school knife guy. I learned along time ago how to get knives and any cutting tool razor sharp. I have dozens and believe the older ones are better.

I have carried a Uncle Henry locking blade folding knife for many years. Like the Buck 110.
I also have a Shrade skinner/gutter w/rubber handle that goes in pack.
I have a set from RMEF, field knife & caper that holds an edge well. In the pack.
Small stone and folding diamond sharpeners that touch up in field.

I think a solid feel of a handled knife is better than those razor knives. And most every hide and quarter I see where a razor was used is shredded and nicked.
I save my hides and think shredded/nicked meat is unacceptable.
Field boning is different story, but you should know how to break down an animal into pieces.
This is MHO.

For field dressing specifically either one is fine.  But any knife I carry I expect to be able to do anything.

Your not going to any wood work with a folder.  Batoning is out of the question, forward/monkey fist grip your not going to be able to generate much power, same with scissor/chest lever grip, saber grip, tip drilling, etc., etc.

I'd say it would probably do just about anything else. There is just a weak point when the knife does not have a full tang.  Just another point of failure.

I have an old Buck Knife given to me by my elk mentor when I was 16 and that was back in the 70's. I still use it today. I see these new knives and wonder how they would do. I have never used one but I think they would do great on skinning an animal.

Just my thoughts anyway

i am a combo man myself i like my folding buck titanium i have had it since i was in the navy it has served me like a brother and i have a case caper fixed blade and a gerber hatchet

The only knife I carry while Elk hunting is a Havalon Torch.  I have a Piranta as well but the Torch accepts a #60A blade vs. a #60.  The #60A blade is a bit thicker so hopefully the blades don't break as easy when going around the hip joint.

havalon torch for me as well for the same reason thicker blade, but I carry a dozen spare
blades with also if you brake one well your our 25 cents . brake 4 and your out a dollar , whats a dollar to have a razor sharp knife 100 % of the time

Sharpening a blade has always been part of the hunt for me. I'd feel like something was missing from the hunt without it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back