flashlight or moonlight??

tkruk

Dec 28, 2012
How do you get to your location for morning hunts?  Do you use a flashlight or just use the light of the moon?

When the moon is full, or out and there is snow on the ground...then it might as well be daylight once your eyes adjust.  But if not, then the red light on my headlamp is just enough to light my way.

I usually use a headlamp at least for the first couple miles, but if I happen to be with a partner that knows where we are going I will just follow them and use the light from their headlamp if i can get away with it. I actually really like allowing my eyes to adjust and go without anything but sometimes that isnt an option.

If im walking a trail  than no light , but in many cases im cross country and its not worth falling or breaking a leg over , use the light.

I dont ever use a light. Unless you were in a spot you've never been before its pretty easy navigating using a stream or some other terrain features as long as you have an idea of what the area looks like. While deployed in Afghanistan at night time we were only allowed to use red blue or a green lights at night. It's harder to see at any kid of a distance then white light. I was a scout and a majority of my training was on navigation. Also you could hang little strings to mark a trail into your spot. I would use a string instead of feild marking tape so people don't see them and get curious.

I use a flashlight because there are six kinds of cactus, football sized rocks, on steep slopes getting in to my favorite area. I take my time  by taking a dozen or so steps at a time...

The point the flashlight directly at the ground in front of me just a few feet...I keep my arm straight and never shine it in directly where I'm headed as if to look ahead.

Red head lamp but now I know the area better I don't really need it.  If I'm in timber I may put it back on. Trying to be sneaky is one thing, having to make your way down a ridge with an improvised crutch is something else.

Moonlight if it's enough,but always have headlamps,one green or red filter and one bright for dark,seeing maps,etc and work.
As stated above, no risking at my age.

I'll stick with using a light. My head lamp has a red LED that works pretty good but i tend to use the white light. The one time i figured I had walked that path enough to know where to step and not to step I ended up straightening the stab on my bow once it got daylight.

there are instances i will not use a light but none of them involve hunting elk in the mountains lol those trails can be dangerous in day light iv taken more diggers in elk brush than i ever did hunting turkey or deer 

Moonlight if I can, if it is a technical, or dangerous hike I will use my light, if I just need a little light, my light has red LEDs i will use.

Me and my boys have three stands. One of the stands I dont use a light for. Its down off a ridge about 70 yards and the hike isnt bad. The other two I use a light to a certain point then try not to use the light. Use common sense on going into your stand. Im over 50 so I am a little more couscous then I use to be.

If we are doing a spot and stalk we try not to use lights. But then again it depends on the terrain.

I go without most of the time.  Love hiking in the dark as it reminds me of riding horses in the dark, but am nervous it will cost me one day in some form of injury. 

If people are scared of the dark, then it is a fact that bears are scared of the light.    I like to leave my head lamp on when hunting in  bear country.  Not sure how scientific my reasoning is, but I have yet to get eaten.

I only get to gun hunt Elk, and I always use a light when walking in, in the morning, and just keep it pointed right at the ground, mainly so I don't bust my butt tripping over something.

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back