For those that backcountry bivy camp

Kdkehoe

Aug 9, 2017
I'd like to know what Tent, Sleeping bag, pad you use.  What do you like about the product? 

I'm thinking of upgrading or purchasing new gear as the gear I have has been well loved. My backpacker tent will be my daughters to use when we camp now and the pad just doesn't seem adequate and my bag well for the most part doesn't have an EN rating it's just on the label advertised as a 10 degree bag but is definetly not.

Any advice or what's worked well for you would be much appreciated!!

I use a kifaru slick bag, 20 degree.  A thermarest full length pad with a high r value, and a tut (w/ stove) for 2 person nights or a small tarp if it's just me.

What's your budget looking like?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

For bivy:
Jimmy tarps Granite mountain, klymit static v ultralight, Sierra designs zissou 15.

Puts me about 4.5#.

Spike camp I swap the Jimmy for a 3 man Kelty tent, I think  Gunnison is the model. Not super light but split between 2 people is worth the comfort.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't stand sleeping on the ground anymore and found that a hammock is the way to go for me. The cold air seems to come from underneath in a hammock, so I added the Eno underquilt, which works great. I could probably even get away without the sleeping bag. That's how much the underquilt helps. The hammock still allows me to stretch out completely and I can even sleep on my side in it comfortably.

Overhead, I use the Kelty - Noah's Tarp (12x12). It can be used in many different ways to create a nice shelter if the weather gets bad.

Grand Trunk - Skeeter Beater double hammock
Eno underquilt
Marmot 20 degree bag
Kelty Noah's Tarp overhead to keep the rain out

dru.bishop73 said:
I use a kifaru slick bag, 20 degree.  A thermarest full length pad with a high r value, and a tut (w/ stove) for 2 person nights or a small tarp if it's just me.

What's your budget looking like?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ive got a tent that works great at just at 3lbs even.  My pad was a black Friday deal nothing incredible but it works, weighs ok, but it doesn't roll down much and takes a bit of room.  A little bigger than a beer growler and a bit taller.  My bag is a North Face Wasatch I picked up from a local sport goods year end sale but doesn't keep the warmth like I would've hoped and I looked it's actually a 30 degree bag not a ten.

My budget is decently tight. I have two kids, one in part time daycare and one in full time. So a majority of my money is tied but I rat hole money and do side landscaping for my hunting and gear addiction. 

What kind of climate/conditions do you use your gear in?

Bull_Fighter said:
I can't stand sleeping on the ground anymore and found that a hammock is the way to go for me. The cold air seems to come from underneath in a hammock, so I added the Eno underquilt, which works great. I could probably even get away without the sleeping bag. That's how much the underquilt helps. The hammock still allows me to stretch out completely and I can even sleep on my side in it comfortably.

Overhead, I use the Kelty - Noah's Tarp (12x12). It can be used in many different ways to create a nice shelter if the weather gets bad.

Grand Trunk - Skeeter Beater double hammock
Eno underquilt
Marmot 20 degree bag
Kelty Noah's Tarp overhead to keep the rain out

Bullfighter- I love my hammock and plan on using it. Part of why I started this thread was to see how many people preferred hammock v tent. I haven't used mine hunnng yet. I sleep somewhat on the cold side and wanted a good bag to compliment the cold under the hammock.  You prefer the underquilt more than a pad? I set mine in and it didn't seem reasonable haha!  What type of climate/conditions do you use your gear in?

I tried the pad in the hammock and it helped a little but was hard to keep centered under me. The underquilt keeps me comfortable all night. I use it here in Idaho during Sept. could be 30-40 at night and up to 75 during the day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back