Found in the Woods!

GoatT

Dec 28, 2012
Has anyone found anything interesting in the woods while you have been out?

A year ago I found a fanny pack someone had lost a month earlier.  It had his license in it with some rope, knife, Misc. stuff.  I looked up his number in the phone directory and returned it to him.  He was happy to get it back.  Still had a couple weeks left to hunt and take his deer.  He said he was done for the year since he lost it, but was able to get back out. 

Was the right thing to do!

Found a railroad tie near the top of a 11,000 ft. peak while scouting a couple of years ago. Also found the stock to a rifle that looked to have been there for at least a year.

We found a pretty new STIHL chainsaw on the fence line of the property we hunt for late muzzleloader, property borders USFS and the land owner didn't know where it came from.. Started up just fine!

I found an old TeePee in the hills one time. Where I found it is actually called TeePee mountain so I'm guessing there is some significance to it. I learned that the canyon where I hunt got its name because that is where the indians use to cross from Montana to Idaho and back. who knows if its an indian teepee or a whiteman teepee. It is by the family ranch and my grandpa can remember when the indians would migrate through the family ranch.

On an un-named mountain in Colorado at the edge of a field I looked down and saw this bottle. Sorry for poor IPhone picture. It says "Big Chief" and has a picture of an Native American wearing a war bonnet. Used to be a soda bottling company in Denver that made the beverage, but has been out of business a while. Did some searches and I think it is worth 7 to 20 dollars.
It is now a home decor...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 179
Here is a couple pics of two headstones I found while hunting in Western WA. I actually did some research and found some stuff about one of the guys.

James P. Eaton:This guy was born in Maine, served in the Civil War as a Corporal from 1861 to 1865.The next record I find of him is living in Sierra CA in 1880Between 1880 and 1890 he moved to Toutle WAHe was Married to Ellen J. EatonIn the 1900 Census Ellen was still living in Toutle with a large familyHarry Eaton who was 22...looks like he served in both World Wars but can't find anything after that. He had a family with one son who looks like he died in the 1990'sJeanette Eaton who was 19...Cannot find anything more after the 1900 CensusMarry Eaton who was 16...Marry married and moved off to start here own familyGeorge Eaton who was 13...George moved to Canada just before World War llLouisa Eaton who was 9...no records after 1910Daisy Eaton who was 3...No records after 1910

Attachments

• 4-E8D05B3F-481952-800.jpg
    4-E8D05B3F-481952-800.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-2853DEEE-367340-800.jpg
    4-2853DEEE-367340-800.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
2 pistols, a myriad of knives, bugles and the such, but the one that brought my eyes into focus was a polaroid picture taped to a  tree. for those to young to know what a polaroid picture is, it is camera that issues a plastic photo from the camera. taped to a tree in north idaho in the 80's was an unclothed woman, with a note to her friend, good luck johnny, see you soon...this was found in big bush basin..i have no evidence other than my long time archery buddy, hatchet jack to back up the finding :eek:   

Being from back East, some of the interesting things that I have found, when I go out west are small Mud Huts with a wooden door, maybe big enough for 2 people ?
Old miner log cabins, and mining equipment.

Kevin

nclonghunter said:
Found this rack atttached to a decayed carcass.....6x6

I forgot about this that I found too, just not as decayed.  Looked like it had been there a week or two.  Must have got shot the first week of the bowhunt. The following year I went back and found someone had cut off the antlers (Illegal in our state).  If I knew that at the end of the season that I was going to not tag out I would have tagged it and took the antlers. The meat was too far rotted. Stunk real bad too!

Found this Spike Bull skull about a week later while walking a well used elk trail in some pines. 

We lost a pack goat for 9 days in the high country. I wrote the poor guy off and then he showed up at the trail head. Thankfully he ran into some friendly hikers and they gave us a call from his dog tag. Sure wish he had a goat cam or gps to see how many miles he did in those days looking for us.

Finding dead heads is no fun, as we would rather hunt them than find them this way! The one with the tree over it was featured in Bugle Magazine when Trees Strike Back many years ago. Figure had been on the ground for about 2 weeks when I found it. A horrible way to go for sure!

I found a series of sheds about 7 feet up in each tree. I think it was someone marking in a trail.

I found a nice camo sweatshirt, hat,cell phone, some arrows ( non of my own :( ) a mule deer somebody had shot and lost.

My brother-in-law and I found a "fugitive from justice" who had burned his folk's house down with his mother in it. He had survived for 3 months in the backcountry before we found him dead on a trail close to camp during an evening September elk hunt. My camper had been there unlocked for about 3 weeks and left unattended most of that time. He had not touched a thing in it........

I have found calls, knife, a pair of boots, hats, gloves the two that I think about the most are the pair of vortex binoculars I found, left them at the silver creek trail head (colorado) I wonder who got them. Number one is the saddle we found in Idaho it had been there for some years wish I the saddle could talk.

ive found some dead buck and elk probably from wolf kills but i have also found some old bleach bottles and a whiskey jug.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back