Full Moon

Mr.BowJangles

Jun 11, 2014
Planning on heading to CO the 3rd thru the 14th for archery season. With the full moon falling on September 8th this year, would I be better off heading in a week later on the 10th thru 21st and overlapping muzzle loader season to avoid hunting during a full moon? I will be in an OTC unit that gets about 200 tags a season for muzzle loaders.

I feel you can use the moon to your advantage!  Yes they come out at night later, but they seem to need to water more during the day. This year I'm planning on hanging out near the water more than normal.
I don't know just a theory I've tonight up.
What do you guys think?

I know this will all be subject to the area you hunt, but how much does muzzle loader season effect the elk in your area? I know when I guided in Wyomng, during the full moon everything shut down. It did warm up then, so I'm not sure if elk activitiy was influenced more by weather than the moon, but I definetly did notice a difference.

It was a great article packed with some good info. That's what prompted me to get others input on your experience hunting the full moon. I personally have never noticed a difference with moon phases whitetail hunting in MI, but when I guided in WY, it was either the weather or moon that slowed all critter movement way down during daylight.

We are planning the last two weeks of season because of the dark of the moon and hopefully cooler weather and increased rutting activity...some folks say the rut is running later the last few years into 1st rifle season..
It seems to be a gamble on public land either way...maybe not so much on private sections.

I pay more attention to the phase of the rut than the phase of the moon. In MT things heat up around the 15th to the 28th. Last year all 4 of us got ours within 4 days of the full moon which fell around the 20th last year.  Didn't really affect us too much IMHO. Hope this helps, good luck whatever u decide.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back