Fun with velvet

mainebrdr

Aug 17, 2017

Let\'s have a little fun here! This picture was taken around the second to third week of June. Make a guess as to what he scored in November.

Geez Tim,

I am not good at this because you and I both know how much they can explode with growth.

He\'s not looking like he will be wide, so main beams won\'t be big. G1s, 2s, and 3s could get some fair growth, but I think the split 4 won\'t do much.
I do think he will do alright with mass though. The tines are nice and close which means he will have some thick measuring points between them.

I think this deer will be just shy of 140.... if not at it. My range will be 136-141....

:dk:

June give this deer plenty of time to grow UP.
Looks like he will be a main frame 12pt wth a few extra points.
Main beam length is decent. Looks like the circumference totals will be good.

My guess is 165ish, a shooter for sure

Did someone shoot him?

Well if he\'s on the wall, then my score is way too low.
I\'m pretty sure there was a 150\" minimum to get on your wall ;)

I think He\'s got a lot of points and going to add a few stickers. I\'m going to say 175\" +- 5\" gross and about 155 net.

Please take this for the reason intended, for fun, but I have to say this deer fooled me more than any up to this point. I took this deer about eight years ago and thought that after 35 years or so of deer hunting that I was pretty good at judging on the hoof deer, even in velvet. After I got the live pic of him in velvet I studied the pic. and another one I got from straight away for quite a while. Actually the pic was taken at a stand location that a friend of mine named Craig hunts. He studied the pics with me and we both thought the deer would score somewhere between 150 and 160 depending on how much more growth he would get since it was the middle of June.

Fast forward to the second week of Nov. and from a stand over 2 miles from where the summer pic was taken I see a buck coming toward me from across a creek, through a very thick area so that I cannot see him extremely well but through binocs I recognize him as the buck from June pics. Going solely on previous decisions I decide to shoot, get ready and release when he hits the only opening to the North which was a small one. Saw him go down, climbed down,went over to him and about cried! kneeled down, apologized to the deer and thought how did I do that!

He scores a gross of 131 as of this morning. I had never actually scored him before this morning. I put him on the wall as a reminder that there is always something to learn and I haven\'t arrived yet. There were a couple of broken points that were not in the early pic so he probably was 135 gross in the picture. To be clear, what a hunter wants to shoot is a personal decision and I am not passing judgment in any way on anyone in that regard. I have certainly taken my share of small bucks. At this time in my hunting career and because of the location in which I live I choose to hold out for a certain animal if for no other reason than to extend the time I can hunt! Actually when looking at the early pics of the deer I can now see that he was \"long arming\" it for the photo! Sure fooled me! Thanks for playing!

Dang, I guess I was close-ish!

Beautiful buck regardless, Tim. He wouldn\'t have passed my stand! He\'s a shooter.

\"cnelk\" said:
Geez!
He hardly grew at all from June pics!

That was what I was thinking. Either he was young or just didn\'t have the genetics...... Maybe it was a dry year and good food was hard to find?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back