Funniest Bad Advice

farmboy

Dec 29, 2012
What's the funniest (probably unsolicited) advice you've ever gotten while elk hunting?  My parnter and I set up camp in the same little spot every weekend every september and this year we returned on the final weekend after our morning hunt to find a huge group of rifle hunters camped literally right next to us.  They were there to begin scouting for deer season.  What a nuisance!  Who goes out in the middle of the woods and camps right on top of people they dont know?  Anyway, they did their best to illicit a conversation from us and we managed a few polite responses as we loaded the truck with gear.  "Seen any deer?" they said.  "nope - we're elk hunters - not interested in deer." we replied.  This old guy proceeded to say that the area we are in is no good for elk hunting and should probably try another unit.  "Few and far between." were his exact words I believe.  We nodded, pretending to soak in every bit of wisdom, and continued to load the truck.  As it turns out we were only in camp to grab the bikes to pack out the meat from the bull we had already killed earlier that morning.  The second one we took that season.  I'm glad his whole party thinks there are no elk in that area.  Let's keep it that way.

This year we shared a camp with a new friend and he liked his sleep. Couldn't get him up in the morning for anything. So one day we were with some other friends and were giving him a pretty hard time about sleeping in and being a fair weather hunter (wouldn't go out of the tent if it even looked like a slim chance of rain). His response was that all his life all the big bulls he'd seen killed were all between the hours of 10AM and 1PM, So its a waste to wake up early.
My Partner and I just laughed it off.

not elk but still one of the funniest things I've ever heard.  A buddy of mine said he heard if you found a deer scrape that you could freshen it up with your own urine.  man that is rich

Mountain Bowhunter said:
not elk but still one of the funniest things I've ever heard.  A buddy of mine said he heard if you found a deer scrape that you could freshen it up with your own urine.  man that is rich

Not to burst your bubble but your buddy is right. Many many hunters freshen scrapes this way. Not sure how it works but it does work.

Idaho_Elk_DIY said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:

Not to burst your bubble but your buddy is right. Many many hunters freshen scrapes this way. Not sure how it works but it does work.

No way! Is there not a clear difference in scent of human and deer urine.  I thought pissing in your hunting area was about the worst thing you could do.

Try it, a buddy of mine peed on a little tree by his stand on his way out.  Next time in the area it had been torn apart.  You don't have to do next to your stand the first time if you don't believe it, but you gotta try.

I swore you were messing with me but I just looked it up.  I can't believe it.  I can't tell you how many people i know have carried a piss bottle with them to avoid pissing in their hunting area.  well i learned something today. thank you for correcting me

sorry to hijack your thread, this will be the last post on this topic.

Intersting. I dont care I pee when I have too and its not in a bottle anyway LOL! I never really worried about it anyway.

Wow.  for years I have pissed at the car and held it for the rest of the hunt.

Alright but seriously I have kinda hijacked this guys thread.  This is supposed to be about BAD hunting advice, which apparently mine was not.  Kinda funny though because the jokes on me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back