Garmin explorer + question

stbmldcgrvs

May 4, 2013
I am told that this unit will function as a GPS unit only without a subscription. Some times of the year I don't need all of the communication features. Can anyone elaborate on what does function without the subscription?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I spoke with Garmin this past Monday right before I ordered one. The GPS feature (compass, and routes and waypoints and such) is all that will work without the subscription. I was told it?s not as good as a stand alone unit though. So I will be taking my eTrex with me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onXhunt.  I don?t even really take a gps.  Plus I get satellite view and can save maps off grid that work in airplane mode too. Best money I?ve spent in a while. Highly recommend it

Kdkehoe said:
onXhunt.  I don?t even really take a gps.  Plus I get satellite view and can save maps off grid that work in airplane mode too. Best money I?ve spent in a while. Highly recommend it

^X2 I have one of their chips in my 64st, best maps I have ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And to add on to onX, there are a number of FREE topo GPS apps that you can use that work as well or better than a GPS unit. The only thing is you need to be able to keep your phone charged. But they all work in airplane mode, so it doesn't put much strain on the battery.

Kdkehoe said:

I second that. Way better than a tiny screen on a GPS and works great offline. Just download the offline maps you need (no additional cost) and no problem with not having data where you are going. The satellite maps are incredible and if you want an even bigger screen you can use a small tablet.
With that said, my GPS is always in my bag as a backup, as is my compass as a backup for my GPS.
But for the cost of a top garmin, I can get a small Samsung tablet and several years subscription to OnX.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back