Gear That Worked/Didn't work

JPhelps

Dec 28, 2012
Now that season is over what gear worked well for you as well as what gear didn't make the cut.

I didn't get a ton of new gear this year but I did get two new weapons.

Martin Onza III - This bow is fast, draws smooth and is accurate.  I know Martin has faced some issues over the last few years but this bow competed well against my Mathews and Bowtech that I have owned the past few years.

I also got a new RBros 7mag built and this gun is a canyon cannon and does it with pin point accuracy.  It is topped with a Vortex 6-24 PST.

Well me and my wife both got Kenetreks this last year. I love mine but she had some massive blisters on one of our outings. Even with good socks she is still hesitant to wear em.  Anybody have any suggestions on this? 

Last fall was my first year getting back into hunting after a 15 year break, so I had a ton of new gear. I spent a considerable amount of time researching the gear before I bought it and for the most part everything met or exceeded my expectations.

I focused on making my pack contents as light and small as possible and still staying within budget. Here are some pieces of gear that were new to me last fall -

Esbit Titanium Stove with fuel tablets (replaced a Whisperlite gas stove); Pros - Stove folds up tiny and is feather light, fuel tablets take up less space than even small fuel canisters, light easily and can be cut in half to extend fuel supply. Cons - not as fast a boil as jet style stoves, slight "fishy" smell to fuel tablets, some soot residue. Verdict - I will keep using these next year. Since I only boil water I don't need to regulate temperature and can wait the extra 3 minutes for my water to boil. The soot is easily wiped off on grass or leaves and the fishy smell was minor and not imparted to the water I boiled.

Crispi Nevada Boots; Pros - Bomber tough, comfortable from the first day I wore them, waterproof, breathable but warm enough to be an all season boot. Cons - None yet Verdict - Best boots I have ever owned. Built tough to last for many years. Top quality boot at a reasonable price.

Core4Element Clothing; Pros - Quality construction, No Cotton, comfortable hiking all day, a well thought out layering system, super quiet light and packable rain gear. Cons - Sizing is not consistent between styles, for instance the XL Pivot long sleeve shirt fits like and XL but the XL Pivot short sleeve shirt fits like a XXL or larger. I believe this is something C4E is working on. Verdict - Very happy with this clothing line. Highly recommended.

FHF Gear Bino Bivy and Rangefinder Case (pic attached) - Pros - can be custom built or choose stock sizes to fit your binos and rangefinder,very reasonable price for custom fit gear, comfortable harness that does not creep as you move, silent and secure hook and loop closures, great company to deal with, made in the USA, Cons - None, Verdict - Great gear! He was able to do my stuff in Mountain Mimicry using fabric I provided(may that sacrificial pair of C4E Switchback pants rest in peices). So to my knowledge I am the only one out there with a Mountain Mimicry bino bivy. If you are in the market for a bino bivy, rangefinder case, bear spray holster, custom camera pouch, etc. check out FHF Gear http://www.fhfgear.com/Hunt.php

Exped Synmat UL 7 Sleeping Pad - Pros - packs down very small and light, about the size of a nalgene bottle when packed, comfortable and warm with 2.8 inches of thickness and a 3.1 R value - Cons - As with any air pad, if you blow it up by mouth you have to ensure trapped moisture from your breath is gone before long term storage. Or you can get Exped's Schnozzle pump bag that doubles as a dry bag (on my short list for this year). Verdict - best nights sleep I have had while camping. If you need a new pad look into this one.

Sierra Designs Stash 1 Tent - Pros - well built bivy tent for people like me who prefer a tent to a tarp system, quick set up - Cons - No quite as light or compact as would like. It is 2 lbs. 13 oz. and 4"x19" packed. I think it is the 19" packed that bothers me the most. Verdict - Next fall I hope to have it replaced with a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo.

Attachments

• FHF Bino Bivy.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 6
I got some new camp gear last year, most were value performers, some were not.

Kelty cosmic down 20- light, packs small, less than $100, close to rated temperature. But,  A little snug in the shoulders.

L.L. Bean hunters Carryall pack
- comfortable, versatile, less than $80. Packed 2 complete elk last year and helped with 2-others. Had it setup for backpack hunting comfortably. An overachiever.

Thermarest Trail scout Medium- packs small, less than 1.5#, self-inflating,  less than $50. I slept on this for 9-nights, never leaked, very comfortable for a 46 year old.

Katadyne filter water bottlle- Waste of money

Camelbak Ranger daypack- I love this daypack room for everything for the day. with a 100OZ reservoir.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back